Cisco 4742HDC Channel Change

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lonnieborntreger
Newcomer
United States of America

Cisco 4742HDC Channel Change

Post by lonnieborntreger » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm a lucky man. My cable provider still provides 60+ channels in analog format, and local channels in ClearQAM. This has allowed me to record 95% of the shows I'm interested in. However, there are a couple shows I'd like to record that are only on the digital side of things, so I finally took the plunge and picked up a HD-PVR 1212. Had a couple small issues getting the HD-PVR working, but a pretty painless process following the wiki page. It records beautifully... as long as I pre-tune the channel I want to record.

Now I'm trying to finish up the setup by having MythTV do the channel changes. I got lircd working fine with the HD-PVR blaster. I can see the light blinking when I send commands. I tried the script mentioned in the wiki that tests hundreds of signals to get the box to power off, but none of the codes do anything. I've looked all over but cannot find a lircd.conf file that works with the Cisco 4742HDC tuner box (remote is a UR5U-8780L).

Does anyone have a working lirc config for this tuner? Or perhaps another way to change channels on this box? I see it has USB, Firewire, and ethernet. Can any of those be used?

Thanks,
Lonnie

lonnieborntreger
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Cisco 4742HDC Channel Change

Post by lonnieborntreger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 am

Well, for fun I put the 4742 on the network and scanned it. It does have a UPNP server... but after following the procedure jheizer used to look at the interface, it does not have the ability to change the channel this way as far as I can tell.

ebnass
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ebnass » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:22 pm

I just replaced my SA 4250 with the Cisco 4742HDC, and the same firewire setup for channel changing as the 4250 worked with the 4742 without having to make any adjustments. I only use FW for channel changing, with "mythchanger -f 4 -P -c" as the external channel change command.

Hulio
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Hulio » Sun May 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Howdy.
Sorry I haven't been much of a contributor since I've had myth running since 2006 (at least), but I decided to register to at least thank you for posting your findings on the 4742HDC. Thank you.
Cox tells me i need a new box, and will also upgrade from my happily working 4250 changing channels via FW using the -f 4 -c (no -P) script. Glad to see this part may work. I'm also using a HDPVR via component out.

The biggest Thank You goes out to Major Idiot for having done this channel changer scripting work so long ago. I always meant to ask him where he got the picture of my grandson for his photo.