mythfilldatabase not adding new channels

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shadrack
Newcomer
United States of America

mythfilldatabase not adding new channels

Post by shadrack » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:09 pm

I've recently upgraded to v31 from v28 or v29 and although I have it mostly working, I'm still struggling a bit with the Schedules Direct DD to XMLTV conversion -- specifically getting mythfilldatabase to add new channels.

The MythTV wiki (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythfilldatabase#Channels) says it should:
By default, mythfilldatabase will add or update channels that are included in the input file if the tuner type supports it. That is any tuner that does not scan for channels....
... but it doesn't. After enabling a couple extra channels in SchedulesDirect.DB, I've re-run mythfilldatabase with no arguments and even tried adding --do-channel-updates even though the wiki says this option only applies to the old DD grabber. Either way, the channels don't get added to the MythTV database, and as far as I can tell, there are no errors or warnings in the output to indicate why.

Is the wiki correct -- is mythfilldatabase supposed to add and update MythTV's channels from the XMLTV grabber (tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite), and if so, how do I get it to do that?

Edit: I have two lineups -- one for cable, and OTA. In SchedulesDirect.DB, I enabled one new channel in each lineup. mythfilldatabase does not add either one to the database.
Last edited by shadrack on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: mythfilldatabase not adding new channels from xmltv grabber

Post by bill6502 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:41 pm

I'm getting new channels OK. There have even been reports of folks that want to
turn that feature off. Worked on v31.0 and now on master (v32-Pre).

Per https://schedulesdirect.org/account: "With the new SD-JSON service, lineups are managed within the application".

Selecting channels there won't help (I've been turning all of mine off, just to prove the point.)

I looked at my DB with: sqlitebrowser SchedulesDirect.DB and in the Browse Data tab selected the lineups
Table. Then noted that for each, I have OTA and CBL too, the new_channels_selected column is
set to 1.

I think that was a selection in: tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file ...
although I don't want to change mine as a test.

I'd be interested in your results.

shadrack
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: mythfilldatabase not adding new channels

Post by shadrack » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm

new_channels_selected is set to 1 for both my lineups as well, but I think that only affects the interaction between XMLTV and Schedules Direct, not between XMLTV and MythTV.

I could be wrong, but here's how I understand it:

Basically, when XMLTV learns about a new channel from SD, it marks the new channel selected or not selected according to the value of new_channels_selected field. When a channel is marked selected in the XMLTV database, it just means the grabber will request guide data for that channel from SD. If the channel is not selected, XMLTV will not ask SD for guide data for that channel. It does not determine whether that channel gets added to or updated in the MythTV database.

I could be wrong, and if so, I welcome enlightenment, but in any case, new_channels_selected is set to 1 for both lineups.