No HD Homerun tuner in v31

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rocknrobin72
Junior
United States of America

No HD Homerun tuner in v31

Post by rocknrobin72 »

I downloaded version 31, v31.0.tar.gz, from github on March 23rd, 2020 and installed it on a Slackware linux distribution 14.2 from source. All seemed to go well until I ran mythtv-setup and in the capture card list there is no card type "HDHomeRun networked tuner". When I check mythbackend --version I see no using_hdhomerun listed. Is there a way to add the hdhomerun libraries without installing again or is there another version I can grab to install that includes the hdhomerun support?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: No HD Homerun tuner in v31

Post by paulh »

Most likely you don't have libhdhomerun or the dev package for it installed.

We used to use our own copy but since version 30 now use the system installed version of a few more libraries.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Not ... te_Changes
rocknrobin72
Junior
United States of America

Post by rocknrobin72 »

Thanks for the info. I did not indeed have the libhomerun library installed. I installed the Silicon Dust hdhomerun_config_gui and libhdhomerun on my Slackware distro. I now have the libhdhomerun shared object library in usr/local/lib with all the other myth libs and when I launch the HDHomeRun Config Gui in my kde desktop I can see both tuners, mine are 1019344C-0 and 1019344C-1, and am given the option to scan and/or configure them. When I run hdhomerun_config discover from the command line it returns "hdhomerun device 1019344C found at X.X.X.X". Now that the libraries are there should "HDHomeRun networked tuner" magically show up in the mythtv-setup GUI under the capture card card type list or do I proceed to configure the hdhomerun under the DVB-T/S/C, ATSC, or ISDB-T Tuner Card Card type. Since the HDHomeRun networked tuner does not show up in the list I am assuming it is the latter. If this is true what do I put in the DVB device window so that the mythtv-setup goes out and discovers the tuner(s)? If I put in the IP address, or 1019344C, or 1019344C-0, or 1019344C-1, I still get a message in the Frontend ID advising "Could not get card info for blah".
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

You will also need the dev version of the libhomerun package if your distro packages it separately, most do, then you will have to do a make distclean and rerun ./configure. You should see that HDHomeRun support is now present in the configure output and mythfrontend --version should now list using_hdhomerun as being include. When you now run mythtv-setup you should have the option to add an HDHomeRun device.
rocknrobin72
Junior
United States of America

Post by rocknrobin72 »

Wow, what a quick response. I love it. When you say do a make distclean and rerun ./configure, you mean from the mythtv-31.0 directory, but I don't have to run make and make install again? Otherwise I can't really find a dev version of the libhomerun package unless you are referring to libspice-client-gtk-2.0-dev.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Yes sorry you will have to do the 'make' and 'sudo make install' again.

There should be a mythtv directory inside mythtv-31.0 change into that and then run './configure --previous' that will use the same command line arguments to configure you used last time.

In the output from configure you should see a line like

Code: Select all

HDHomeRun support         yes
If it says yes then you are good and can do the make and sudo make install. If no then you are missing the development files for HDHomeRun. I don't know slackware may be they package everything together.
rocknrobin72
Junior
United States of America

Post by rocknrobin72 »

As an update. I submitted a question on the Silicon Dust web page concerning what else I needed to get the dev package. I was advised that I had all the libraries, all I needed to do was move all the hdhomerun header files into the /usr/local/include/mythtv directory and voila, when I run ./configure again I see the "HDHomeRun support yes" show up under the Input Support List. My next question is that when I run configure the second line that shows up is "WARNING: disabling Python bindings; missing MySQLdb". I am running Mariadb. Is that a catastrophic failure? When I ran the install the first time it appeared to install ok. While waiting for the reply from Silicon Dust I did download and install the mythtv v28 which had the hdhomerun support. After everything was configured and when I was trying to see if it would work, when I tried to play LiveTV from the frontend, I kept getting messages that the MySQL database was disconnecting and then another message saying it would connect again whereupon LiveTV would not play even though I was able to scan channels from mythtv-setup when I was configuring the system.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Figuring out all the dependencies for a build from source yourself is quite a job. Have a look at the Wiki https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source where the building process is described and where there is also a description on how to get all dependencies automatically via something called Ansible.
You might consider to move from Slackware to a more popular distribution such as Ubuntu or Fedora. There are pre-built packages available for these platforms and also development is mainly done on these platforms. This gives you a better chance of something that just works and if it does not work then it is easier to get help.