mythtv31 and schedules Direct

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jim23434
Newcomer
United States of America

mythtv31 and schedules Direct

Post by jim23434 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:35 pm

First let me state that I love mythtv and have been using it for years. It took awhile to learn to install but was worth the effort. I can't say that about release 31 and how it handles schedules Direct. Another high learning curve for a 74 year old user. Sad to say but how are you going to get a average user to install 31 and SD. Your not.

dseven
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: mythtv31 and schedules Direct

Post by dseven » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 pm

I agree. I spent a good part of yesterday fumbling around with it, and I consider myself quite technically competent. I did get get it (seemingly) working in the end, with a test installation, but after a lot of confusion and frustration. I'm not yet sure when I'm going to tackle upgrading my "production" instance. I found the wiki page vague and confusing - as if written by someone who understands the inner workings but didn't really consider the typical end-user who doesn't, and there's too much "jumping in and out" (do this in mythtv-setup, then do this using the grabber setup scripts, then ...)

Not complaining - just sharing my observation/agreement.

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 pm

The wiki by its nature is largely user generated content. If you think it's vague and confusing then help to update it so it's not :D

dseven
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dseven » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:38 pm

I may do that.

Is there official documentation on implementing SD with XMLTV, and the transition process from DataDirect, somewhere else, then?

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 pm

I'm not aware of any official documentation other than the wiki. If there is one thing devs don't like it's doing documentation so it's left to the users to fill in the gaps :lol: :roll:

I did look to see if I still had the notes from when I had to switch to SD from the RadioTimes grabber when it went defunct but unfortunately it is so long ago it's long since been nuked and I can't remember the details sorry.

We are well aware setting up MythTV needs attention and should be a lot easier. The problem is it's something most of us do once and then forget about it. It should be compulsory for every dev to do a clean setup once a year to remind them how difficult it can be sometimes :twisted: