Backend help

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Stumped73
Newcomer
United States of America

Backend help

Post by Stumped73 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:40 pm

So the MythTV site provides good information for installing frontend but virtually none for the backend. I have the version 30 compressed folder but the Kodi app doesn't recognize it when I try to install from zip file. The backend is unpacked but I don't know how to boot it up or get Kodi to handle it. Do I need Myth frontend software other than that associated with Kodi?

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: Backend help

Post by wesnewell » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 am

You should be able to find anything you need to know about installing and using Mythtv at this link.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Main_Page
Many linux distros have mythtv in the repos that will install all the components you need to get a working system. I don't know much about Kodi as I've never used it. A full mythtv repo package should install the backend, frontend, and database needed for it. A wag to indtall it on an rpm based linux would be 'rpmi mythtv' and on a deb distro 'apt-get install mythtv.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

Stumped73
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Stumped73 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:02 am

Thanks. That's where I was but it just says install backend and regurgitates how to install frontend. My question is specifically about how to install backend. Lol

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:21 am

That depends on what distro you are using. And if you just install the backend software alone it won't work since it also has to have a database to work. Open your package manager and search for mythtv. Here's what synaptic say about the "mythtv-backend" package.

MythTV provides a unified graphical interface for recording and viewing television programs. Refer to the mythtv package for more information.

This package contains only the server software, which provides video and audio capture and encoding services. In order to be useful, it requires a mythtv-frontend installation, either on the same system or one reachable via the network.

A database is also required. The mythtv-database package must be installed, either on the same system, or one reachable via the network.

For a complete installation of all MythTV components, install the 'mythtv' package.
if you want to install everything manually, first install mysqld and then install the mythconverg db, Then install the backend software and configure it. Then whatever frontend you want to use. or you can dl the source code, compile and link them etc. But much easier to install from your distros repos.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:45 am

Installing mythtv from a zip file is not for everybody. As said already, installing from a distro is the best way and also it is easiest to install the complete package and then only use what you need.

After it is installed you need to run mythtv-setup to do the configuration of the backend. This is described in the Wiki in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_General and in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning.

Enjoy!