Newby questions about MythTV capabilities

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

luggw1
Newcomer
United States of America

Newby questions about MythTV capabilities

Post by luggw1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:21 pm

I just stumbled across MythTV and wonder if it might be the tool I'm looking for.

Currently, I'm running a Win10 box as a media server that stores all our recorded movies (from DVDs, Blu-Rays and from streamed sources). To record the streamed video from places like Amazon and Vudu (video rentals) I use PlayOn. I find its performance to be spotty at best, I'll often have to attempt a recording several times before I get a successful result and their tech support seems to be responsive but not very valuable.

So, I'm looking for a tool that will take PlayOn's place. If I can dump Windows for Linux, that would be the icing on the cake. My question is whether MythTV provides the utility to record a video from a source like Amazon or Vudu?

Also, my wife enjoys a variety of programming from PBS. Again, this can all be streamed from their web site. can MythTV record these as well?

Thanks.
Bill Lugg

mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Newby questions about MythTV capabilities

Post by mythbuntubox » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:55 pm

MythTV is only intended for recordings that you are legally permitted to make, and I don't think that recording from Amazon, etc. qualifies and would be frowned upon by the people behind MythTV.

luggw1
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by luggw1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:59 pm

mythbuntubox wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:55 pm
MythTV is only intended for recordings that you are legally permitted to make, and I don't think that recording from Amazon, etc. qualifies and would be frowned upon by the people behind MythTV.
So, if I understand your statement correctly, you're suggesting the service and software PlayOn provides is not legally permitted? It seems to me the act of recording streamed content, just like recording content off the air, so that I can watch it at my leisure is not illegal. What is illegal, is selling said recording, or selling access to view the recording, or sharing the recording with others, which I am definitely not doing.

Thanks for the clarification.
Bill Lugg

Hussar_303
Newcomer
Belgium

Post by Hussar_303 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:55 pm

Yeah, it's technically possible to do, but if you're doing it and talking about it online, it creates a risk for MythTV to be banned, so please, for the sake of the team and of other users, don't do that...

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:49 pm

There's lots of ways to record things in Linux. So you could use any method and store them in the videos folder and view them with mythtv frontend.
google record streaming video with linux
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.