Updating movie metadata

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

prosmart
Newcomer
Australia

Updating movie metadata

Post by prosmart » Sun May 05, 2019 4:26 am

Greetings

Running combined back and front end with the video library NFS mounted from a QNAP.
Version fixes/29 (v29.1-13-g329c235) on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

I'm having an issue with my video folder. It's currently divided into two sub-folders "Series" and "Movies".

Whenever I try to update my metadata using "Watch Videos -> "M" -> Retrieve All Details" I end up with some of the Movies being recognised but a lot of the metadata being retrieved for my "Series" folder.

The only way that seems to work (mostly) is by highlighting a single movie within Myth and updating the metadata using the "W" key. I have a lot of movies (600+) and this takes a helluva long time to do individually.

Is there any way I can download and update metadata for one folder (Movies) only from the command line? I would really like to update my movie metadata separately.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

TIA

Nigel

halucigenia
Junior
Great Britain

Re: Updating movie metadata

Post by halucigenia » Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm

I take it that you have a lot of movies and TV series that have never been recorded or given metadata by Mythtv? and are just adding them to mythtv as videos now.

Set them up as different storage directories, one at a time? Setup the movies storage directory first and then run "M" for the movies, then set up the series storage directory and run "M" for the series.

It will take a long time to retrieve all of the metadata, but if you left it to run it eventually will populate all of the metadata that it can automatically find. There is always some intervention required though to confirm the correct metadata that it can't automatically find which is a long and tedious process to confirm the correct show or movie but you don't have to do this immediately as it asks for them, you can just let it run until it completes. I also sometimes end up with some shows and movies with incorrect metadata that I have to remove (the metadata) then use the "W" key for, but I found that I did not have to wait for it to recognise each episode to be found before "W" for the next one.

I think that giving shows and movies that have duplicate names a date in the filename which corresponds to the date that the movie or series was first shown helps the metadata lookup find the correct data for them e.g. the more recent Doctor Who series require "Doctor who (2005)" in the filename otherwise it picks up the metadata for the older shows.

Other than that I could only suggest that you create a new empty folder for movies one for series and point mythtv to them instead and move the files in small batches to each folder and run "M" after copying each small batch.

prosmart
Newcomer
Australia

Re: Updating movie metadata

Post by prosmart » Thu May 23, 2019 9:47 pm

halucigenia wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm
I take it that you have a lot of movies and TV series that have never been recorded or given metadata by Mythtv? and are just adding them to mythtv as videos now.

Set them up as different storage directories, one at a time? Setup the movies storage directory first and then run "M" for the movies, then set up the series storage directory and run "M" for the series.

It will take a long time to retrieve all of the metadata, but if you left it to run it eventually will populate all of the metadata that it can automatically find. There is always some intervention required though to confirm the correct metadata that it can't automatically find which is a long and tedious process to confirm the correct show or movie but you don't have to do this immediately as it asks for them, you can just let it run until it completes. I also sometimes end up with some shows and movies with incorrect metadata that I have to remove (the metadata) then use the "W" key for, but I found that I did not have to wait for it to recognise each episode to be found before "W" for the next one.

I think that giving shows and movies that have duplicate names a date in the filename which corresponds to the date that the movie or series was first shown helps the metadata lookup find the correct data for them e.g. the more recent Doctor Who series require "Doctor who (2005)" in the filename otherwise it picks up the metadata for the older shows.

Other than that I could only suggest that you create a new empty folder for movies one for series and point mythtv to them instead and move the files in small batches to each folder and run "M" after copying each small batch.
Thank you for the input - much appreciated.

N/