Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
Post Reply
User avatar
heyted
Junior
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:14 am
Location: South Florida
Contact:
United States of America

Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by heyted » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:51 am

Xubuntu 16.04 EOL is April 21, 2019. It looks like I will be finally installing Xubuntu 18.04 soon.
Ted | My blog

KennyB
Junior
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 am
United States of America

Re: Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by KennyB » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:01 pm

I thought they had extended it to 2021, but it looks like that doesn't apply to the Xubuntu flavor?

How disappointing. I have been running 18.04 on a new desktop I just acquired, and I really just don't see the improvement. In fact, lots of regressions if anything.

mattlach
Junior
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:52 am
United States of America

Re: Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by mattlach » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:54 pm

KennyB wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:01 pm
I thought they had extended it to 2021, but it looks like that doesn't apply to the Xubuntu flavor?

How disappointing. I have been running 18.04 on a new desktop I just acquired, and I really just don't see the improvement. In fact, lots of regressions if anything.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised and confused too.

I still have my Mythbuntu 14.04 0.27 install running, and it appears to still be getting 14.04LTS updates, but those end this month, so I am rushing around to upgrade TO 16.04 LTS. It is supposed to ahve standard support for another two years.

Here is the Ubuntu release support table.
Backend: MythTV 0.27 via Mythbuntu 14.04 LTS, running in LXC Container on Proxmox Server. Dual Hexacore Xeon L5640, 192GB RAM

mattlach
Junior
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:52 am
United States of America

Re: Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by mattlach » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:37 pm

I did some more poking around, and it turns out the likes of Xubuntu and Lubuntu do indeed not match Ubuntu's 5 year LTS support schedule, opting instead for a shorter 3 year LTS support schedule, but still calling it by the same name, which is confusing and misleading as all hell.

Because of this I have been running an unsupported desktop on my backend for two years :/

The good news is that when the clock runs out on Xubuntu and Lubuntu all of the Ubuntu LTS base stuff still gets updated with security updates until the 5 years is up. The desktop packages specific to Xubuntu or Lubuntu - however - don't.

This really should be published on their project websites in big flashing screaming red letters, because a rational assumption is that you are Ubuntu based, Ubuntu LTS means 5 years, and thaty you follow that as well. Heck, if I google lubuntu service life, the standard ubuntu schedule takes up the first several results...

I guess I am going to have to move to 18.04 then instead of 16.04, which I am dreading because of all the boneheaded changes associated with SystemD.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I really like ifupdown and configuring all of my network interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces like I always have, and I hate it when SystemD tries to take on more and more of that and move it.
Backend: MythTV 0.27 via Mythbuntu 14.04 LTS, running in LXC Container on Proxmox Server. Dual Hexacore Xeon L5640, 192GB RAM

MikeB2013
Senior
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:16 pm
Great Britain

Re: Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by MikeB2013 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 pm

You are not alone with the change to interfaces (using netplan), but you can still use the "old" interfaces method e.g. see https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031709 ... interfaces

Here is an example (simple case) on my system of netplan file /etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml
:

Code: Select all

# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: NetworkManager
  ethernets:
    enp0s31f6:
      match:
        macaddress: 70:4d:7b:86:fb:2e
      dhcp4: no
      addresses: [192.168.0.20/24]
      gateway4: 192.168.0.2
      nameservers:
         addresses: [192.168.0.2]
      wakeonlan: true
The other issue with 18.04 is if you use lirc, there are some problems, see this post for some help https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/mythtvnz/619264

Mike

mattlach
Junior
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:52 am
United States of America

Re: Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by mattlach » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 am

MikeB2013 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 pm
You are not alone with the change to interfaces (using netplan), but you can still use the "old" interfaces method e.g. see https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031709 ... interfaces

Here is an example (simple case) on my system of netplan file /etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml
:

Code: Select all

# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: NetworkManager
  ethernets:
    enp0s31f6:
      match:
        macaddress: 70:4d:7b:86:fb:2e
      dhcp4: no
      addresses: [192.168.0.20/24]
      gateway4: 192.168.0.2
      nameservers:
         addresses: [192.168.0.2]
      wakeonlan: true
The other issue with 18.04 is if you use lirc, there are some problems, see this post for some help https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/mythtvnz/619264

Mike
I hear ya.

Good info about lirc. I am not personally too concerned though. My backend is a dedicated backend (actually running in an LXC container on my Proxmox KVM/LXC host). The important part is that it is not used for any viewing or anything to do with a remote control.

All my frontends run Kodi with the MythTV plugin. I haven't used an actual MythTV frontend in 5+ years.
Backend: MythTV 0.27 via Mythbuntu 14.04 LTS, running in LXC Container on Proxmox Server. Dual Hexacore Xeon L5640, 192GB RAM

KennyB
Junior
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 am
United States of America

Re: Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by KennyB » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:37 am

mattlach wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:37 pm
I did some more poking around, and it turns out the likes of Xubuntu and Lubuntu do indeed not match Ubuntu's 5 year LTS support schedule, opting instead for a shorter 3 year LTS support schedule, but still calling it by the same name, which is confusing and misleading as all hell.

Because of this I have been running an unsupported desktop on my backend for two years :/

The good news is that when the clock runs out on Xubuntu and Lubuntu all of the Ubuntu LTS base stuff still gets updated with security updates until the 5 years is up. The desktop packages specific to Xubuntu or Lubuntu - however - don't.

This really should be published on their project websites in big flashing screaming red letters, because a rational assumption is that you are Ubuntu based, Ubuntu LTS means 5 years, and thaty you follow that as well. Heck, if I google lubuntu service life, the standard ubuntu schedule takes up the first several results...

I guess I am going to have to move to 18.04 then instead of 16.04, which I am dreading because of all the boneheaded changes associated with SystemD.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I really like ifupdown and configuring all of my network interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces like I always have, and I hate it when SystemD tries to take on more and more of that and move it.
Ugh yeah I recently just had a forray into trying to set a custom DNS server in 18.04. Frustrating as all heck. I really hate "upgrades".

I feel like in the future the wiser thing might be to download Ubuntu and then install the window-manager you want, that way you get the 5 years of service life for the base system but also the desktop environment. I guess nothing is really stopping someone from installing a newer version of XFCE or LXDE on top of an updated 16.04 system as well.

Post Reply