Please help me understand

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kenj71
Newcomer
United States of America

Please help me understand

Post by kenj71 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Maybe I don't need a media center software. Perhaps you can help me understand so I can employ what I need.

What I think I need is a combination of the "leanback TV launcher" and a Site Specific Browser for the web. You see, all I need is to view alternative video websites from the living room HDTV. I don't see how typical media center software can help me, with its "front end" and "back end" since I don't need PVR or live TV or Internet channels. What I want is a "ten foot interface" that is easily controlled with a simple, Roku style remote control that even the wife likes and can use.

So, is MythTV suitable for my needs or should I look elsewhere? There was a flurry of Web TV activity five to seven years ago but most development has ceased. I would appreciate any pointers to a suitable interface. Thanks. -=Ken=-

mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Please help me understand

Post by mythbuntubox » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:51 pm

If you are not interested in the recording capabilities of MythTV, it may be a little overkill for your purposes. You should maybe investigate what you can achieve with something like Kodi instead.

https://www.technadu.com/ultimate-kodi-guide/8468/

kenj71
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Please help me understand

Post by kenj71 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it appears that MythTV is overkill for me. I am using what KDE calls its desktop widget "Quicklauncher" extended to fill the desktop with three rows of four very large icons. The web links icons are created using the Site Specific Browser utility created by the Peppermint OS group which open up with no title/scroll bars. The web browser has installed an extension which makes all website automatically open in full page/zoom. It is cobbled together but it seems to work pretty good. If anyone is interested my project is being reported on the Kubuntu Forums.

-=Ken=-