Suggested Media Providers

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mitchd123
Newcomer
United States of America

Suggested Media Providers

Post by mitchd123 »

Looking for suggested media/content providers that are MythBackend friendly, and schedule friendly (eg: Schedules Direct)

Goals - MythBackend for PVR
1) Timeshifting
2) Commercial Skip
3) Retention - ability to save recordings for years if desired

I've been using Myth for over a decade, I'm a huge fan. As technology continues to advance, it seems as if our options for MythFriendly media providers continue to diminish. I've been using a SiliconDust HDHomerun PRIME with a cable-card for the past couple of years, and have been pleased. I had planned on moving to OTA + Silicondust premium TV, but that is now defunct.

The two content providers in my area (Cox & Verizon) are both jacking up prices for extended basic, plus equipment rentals, tax, fees, etc.. I'm looking for other options. Any new media content providers that will work with Mythbackend & SchedulesDirect

Locast is "almost" available in my area, but I can pick up around 20 channels OTA, (PBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, etc.) Having a Myth plugin for Locast would be very interested for many users, because it would be SchedulesDirect friendly.

I'm willing to pay for content and use a cable card, but I'm at a loss on how I continue using Myth-Backend beyond the two local monopolies: Cox & Verizon.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: Suggested Media Providers

Post by heyted »

I currently do not use OTA. But, if I did, combining it with SiliconDust premium TV seemed like a great idea by SiliconDust. I hate to see it canceled.

Equipment rentals? Can you elaborate? I have Comcast with one cablecard and no other equipment. I get a credit for using the cablecard, and there are no equipment fees. They should be giving you a credit if your package includes a box, and you have returned the box and use a single cablecard.
Ted | My blog
mitchd123
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by mitchd123 »

@HeyTed, thanks for the reply. VZ won't allow me to eliminate the set-top box.

Current VZ bill is $75 for TV with Fees, comes to $167 with 100mb Internet.

Preferred HD = $65 (less $20 discount) = $45 (with no premium channels)
Rent: Set-Top Box $3.99/mo (required...VZ will not eliminate)
Rent: Cable Card $4.99/mo (fee not credit)
State Sales Tax $5.73 (death and taxes)
Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge $3.04
PEG Grant Fee $0.48
CATV Regulatory Fee $0.06
Regulatory Recovery Fee - Federal $0.06
Regional Sports Network Fee $7.89 (VZ won't drop)
Fios TV Broadcast Fee $4.49 (surcharge)

What annoys me the most is paying for stuff I don't want. My "SetTop box" isn't even plugged in. The $7.89 Sports fee...when I don't watch sports, etc.

Getting back to the topic would love to know if there are currently any Mythtv friendly media providers. With ATSC 3.0 coming, we may see more DRM, encryption, etc, etc.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

This is exactly why I've never used anything but free OTA tv. All you need is a tuner card and good antenna. There is no other cost unless you want SD guide service for $25 a years. Most people would probably be happy with the free OTA guide data. Depending on your location. you can get up to over 100 channels for free. I get 114 here in the DFW area, but 99.9% of what I record and watch is from less than 10 channels.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

The cablecard fee without a credit is possible if your package does not include a box. The requirement to have a set-top box is not correct with Verizon Fios. Did the customer rep tell you the reason? It is much more likely that the rep incorrectly said that a box is required. With very few exceptions, not allowing you to return the box and have just a cablecard would be a violation of an FCC rule as described here.

There are some OTT streaming services that could be used with MythTV if the service allowed it, but I am not aware of one with an agreement that allows it.

OTA is a great option. I would probably do this if I could, but Comcast cable is included in my home owners association monthly fee. If you have a small low antenna, maybe you could get more channels like Wes if you install a higher better antenna. If you have not already done this, you can use a site such as tvfool.com to see if a higher antenna will tune more channels.
Ted | My blog
mitchd123
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by mitchd123 »

@HeyTed, THANK YOU! Encouraged by your reply I contacted VZ to rejoin after canceling, and took advantage of the new customer discounts. I was able to save around $70 per month by turning my service off for 2 days.

CableCard - While the VZ online signup doesn't allow one to order a package without a set-top-box (STB), I pinged the chat agent. The chat agent had me go through the credit check and stop. He went in and modified my order, removing the STB and adding the cable-card. Saving ~15 a month (fees & tax)

Regional Sports Fee - The chat agent also let me know there are 2 custom channel line-up which eliminated the Regional sports fee. Lost CNBC, but got CNBC-world, lost Vice, ESPN, etc. Saved ~10 a month (fees & tax)

They offered to bundle free Phone, but that's more taxes and fees. I'm happy with OOMA & Cell, and don't need anymore VZ fees.

Eliminated the Router Rental for ~15/month (fees & tax). Purchased a VZ supported router online for <$20 with shipping.

Ironically beside reducing the cost of my 100mb internet package with the new customer discount, VZ upgraded me to Gb internet for free. There's no meaningful change in performance of 100mb because the bottleneck at this point in my 100mb router. 40/mo for GB internet

VZ still hits me with some ~$10 a month surcharge...but that's life. My bill is now at $100/mo., much better than the $170 or so I was at.

I avoided COX because they have overall bandwidth caps, then fees for exceeding. We stream a lot of movies and didn't want to worry about caps and extra fees.

I'm excited/apprehensive to see what happens with OTA ATSC 3.0 when it arrives.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

You're welcome. Glad it worked out.
Ted | My blog