Backend failure on boot

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

philrosenberg
Newcomer
Great Britain

Backend failure on boot

Post by philrosenberg » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi
I'm running mythtv on debian, just a single box with a backend and frontend. This is debian stretch with mythtv 0.28.

The backend is failing to start on boot systemctl status gives me the following

Code: Select all

$ sudo systemctl status mythtv-backend

● mythtv-backend.service - LSB: Start/Stop the MythTV server.
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Fri 2018-11-30 21:37:59 GMT; 3min 22s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 829 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/mythtv-backend.service

Nov 30 21:37:59 <hostname> systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Start/Stop the MythTV server....
Nov 30 21:37:59 <hostname> mythtv-backend[829]: Starting MythTV server: mythbackend .
Nov 30 21:37:59 <hostname> systemd[1]: Started LSB: Start/Stop the MythTV server..
Nov 30 21:38:00 <hostname> mythtv-backend[829]: Cannot login to database
Nov 30 21:38:00 <hostname> mythtv-backend[829]: Would you like to configure the database connection now? [no]
Nov 30 21:38:00 <hostname> mythtv-backend[829]: [console is not interactive, using default 'no']
So it seems like it is having problems connecting to the database. Except if I just run mythbackend from the terminal it works fine.

I don't really know enough about systemd to work out what is going on or how to diagnose things properly. Any help much appreciated.

Phil

pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Backend failure on boot

Post by pgbennett » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:37 pm

It uses $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml to find the database parameters. I suspect you configured it from a different user id than it is using for the backend. You can copy the .mythtv/config.xml from the user where you ran it successfully to the home directory of where systemd is running it (normally it is run using the mythtv user).

philrosenberg
Newcomer
Great Britain

Re: Backend failure on boot

Post by philrosenberg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks for the reply

I ended up rebuilding my system as I got totally lost. I am running on a raspberry pi and ended up accidentally adding non-rpi repos and made a right mess of upgrading from jessie to stretch. I'm running (your?) mythtv-light package and have very nearly got a full frontend and backend setup running. Your post did help though as I still couldn't get the backend to run as a service, then I realised I had no mythtv user, which was the cause of that. Just having some permission issues now, but I'll create a new post to ask about those.