Mounting a file system for new install

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
Lloyd
Newcomer
United States of America

Mounting a file system for new install

Post by Lloyd » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:35 am

I'm trying to set up a new MythTV on a new hard drive, but I don't know Linux. I installed MythTV on Ubuntu. The instructions say that I should mount a file system in the /var/lib/mythtv directory, but exactly how do I do that?

People tell me that Linux doesn't work like that any longer. I'm told that Linux now only has one file system for each drive.

Lloyd

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: Mounting a file system for new install

Post by wesnewell » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:28 am

You can have as many file systems as you want on a drive if you partition it into multiple partitions, but you don't create file systems in a directory. You don't even need a /var/lib/mythtv directory, but it has been the default for years for mythtv to use to store recordings and all other mythtv stuff. Personally, I use a completely different drive and location for mine, Most? linux distros , like ubuntu defaults to a single partition, but You can have as many as you want and mount things however you want.When I first started with Linux in 2002, I created separate partitions for every mount point, /, /boot, /home, /var, etc. That's hardly need now with such large drives available. These are the default directories for mythtv, and I don't use most of them, as I use another drive to store stuff there.
wes@mythfe0:~$ ls /var/lib/mythtv
banners coverart fanart recordings streaming videos
bare-client db_backups livetv screenshots trailers
And here's what I use.
wes@mythfe0:~$ ls /sdb/
default lost+found music pictures recordings videos wes
BE/FE-AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.