mythfilldatabase not updating some channels

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MickeyRat
Newcomer
United States of America

mythfilldatabase not updating some channels

Post by MickeyRat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:01 pm

I've been using MythTV and Schedules DIrect for almost 3 years now and haven't had this problem before. There are 4 channels in the 46.X range that aren't getting their schedules updated with mythfilldatabse --dd-grab-all. One of them happens to be a channel my wife likes. I can watch the channels and see there actually are programs on them. I've also captured the data that is coming from Schedules Direct and it appears to have data for the channel my wife is missing. I haven't looked for the others but, I'll bet they are there.

I've googled, read wikis, etc. and I'm not finding anything that will tell me how to deal with this. I'm hoping someone can suggest something that will help here. Thanks

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: mythfilldatabase not updating some channels

Post by wesnewell » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 am

Go into mythweb and make sure those channels have xmltviid numbers. If not, get them from SD and manually insert them.
http://localhost/mythweb/settings/tv/channels
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

MickeyRat
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by MickeyRat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for the reply. I've never done any guide data with XML. Never needed to. They don't appear to have any xmltvid numbers though. When I ran a report on Schedules Direct I believe they did have xmltvid numbers for them. I don't guess there's any way for me to insert them.

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Without the xml numbers the guide won't update. That's why you get no guide info for those channels. Just manually insert the numbers and then save it at the bottom of the page. For those channels not in the SD list, check EIT and you should get the OTA guide from the channel if provided by the station, and your sys/cards are set to provide EIT. If you don't want the OTA data overwriting the SD data, uncheck EIT for those channels.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

MickeyRat
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by MickeyRat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:24 pm

First thank you for the reply and thank you Thank You THANK YOU for letting me know that the channel editor in MythWeb is supposed to work. It's never worked for me but, thanks to you I went looking for and found the php.ini setting (max-input-connections I think) that made it work finally! That's going to make getting rid of channels I don't want to see (QVC, Telemundo, channels with no schedule, etc) a LOT easier.

Also I wasn't seeing the forest for the tress. My actual problem is that I have multiple stations coming in on the same channel number. One set has xmltvids and shows up in the schedule. The other set doesn't. It remains a mystery to me how I can tune to them separately. You also made me do some research on what EIT is and how to enable it. I did that and did a channel scan. Alas none of the channels that I'm not getting schedules for had EIT data. My last hope was to see if I could find the xmltvids somewhere and put them in but, I struck out there. I understand that zap2it supplies them to Schedules Direct and they don't have them. The only identifier I have for the channel is light and I struck out in HDTV magazine. Is there anywhere else I can look?

Whether this problem gets solved or not, I've learned some things and that's always good.

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:51 pm

As long as they are checked as visible, you should be able to tune into them even if there is no xmltvid. They should show up in the guide with Unknown for the listings. You can watch them live or even record them. If you want guide data for them you must have EIT enabled system wide, at least 1 tuner card set for it, and have the channels marked to get OTA guide data. Has always worked that way as far back as I can remember, and I started using mythtv in 2005 iirc.

MickeyRat
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by MickeyRat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 am

I found EIT disabled in the only video source I have and I've enabled it there. I have a HDHomerun HDHR5-4US (4 tuners). So while MythTV sees 4 tuner cards, it's really just one. EIT is enabled on them. Is there anything I'm missing when it comes to enabling EIT system wide? If not, I'm at the end of my quest. Oddly enough, I did find light tv's web page. They don't indicate it's available in this area except on cable. I am getting it broadcast though. I don't have cable TV at all.

Actually in Kodi (What I use for my frontend.) there is a way to look at hidden channels. They don't show up in the cable like guide but, you can display them in channels. That's how I've been looking at these.

Even if I don't solve the problem I was trying to solve, you've helped me in other ways and I learned some things that will come in handy later I'm sure. So, thanks!

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:11 am

MickeyRat
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by MickeyRat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 am

Yep, I enabled it there. Didn't get anything though. Thanks for your help.

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:29 pm

If these are cable channels, they may not provide any guide data over their frequency. I wouldn't know, as I've never found a need for anything but OTA , and I know very little about the hdhr. Good luck.