Tuner scans OK but shows error in 'System Status'

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dualboot
Junior
Great Britain

Tuner scans OK but shows error in 'System Status'

Post by dualboot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:25 pm

I added an additional tuner existing setup and have messed it up somehow. The existing card is a Nova-T dual tuner PCI card. The new card was a PCTV DVB-T2.

After I added it everything seemed OK, but then I noticed that I was getting failed recordings. I tried deleting the new card, then all the cards, and finally physically removing the PCI card.

I have deleted all tuner cards, and input connections, and now just have the PCTV card plugged in.

I add the new card (why does it take so long after you hit 'new tuner' by the way?)
I then create a new video source
I then set the input connection to the video source and scan for channels. It finds all the channels as expected.
I come out of MythTV backend setup
In the frontend in Info Centre -> System Status -> Tuner Status it shows both tuners have errors. (and I can't record or watch live TV)

However the message says 'Tuner 3 has an error' and 'Tuner 4 has an error' - I would expect it to show Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 ?

If I select the lines the detail shows the correct device name /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 for both.
I can't find any error message in the frontend or backend log file.

It can't be that broken if it scans correctly ?

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

dualboot
Junior
Great Britain

Re: Tuner scans OK but shows error in 'System Status'

Post by dualboot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:38 pm

I've just checked in phpMyAdmin in the 'capture card' table
|3|0|/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0|...
|4|3|/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0|...

First number is card id, second parent id - I'm thinking it should probably be 0s and 1s ?

Can anyone who has a single dvb tuner with two streams tell me what theirs is set to ? I'm thinking of trying to edit the table - is this really bad idea ?
I'm guessing that if I mess it up I can put it back and then delete the tuner in the setup screen...

bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:31 pm

I believe you'll void your warranty, but you shouldn't need to edit.

The second entry is showing up as a child of the first, probably because you're
allowing more than one recording on the first card. Which is OK if the card
supports it. Here's a snapshot from mine (and I haven't deleted all cards
recently so the numbers are big, which is also OK.)

Code: Select all

mysql> SELECT cardid,parentid,cardtype,hostname,videodevice,sourceid,reclimit FROM capturecard WHERE cardtype='DVB' ORDER BY cardid;
+--------+----------+----------+-----------+-----------------------------+----------+----------+
| cardid | parentid | cardtype | hostname  | videodevice                 | sourceid | reclimit |
+--------+----------+----------+-----------+-----------------------------+----------+----------+
|     26 |        0 | DVB      | mc0       | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 |        1 |        2 |
|     28 |        0 | DVB      | mc0       | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 |        1 |        1 |
|     40 |       26 | DVB      | mc0       | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 |        1 |        2 |
In my case, the physical card has two tuners and I've only set the maximum number of
recordings to two on the first. Even though the tuners are on the same physical card, it's
entered as if two cards exist.

dualboot
Junior
Great Britain

Post by dualboot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks bill - I won't be asking for a refund *

I made the change and re-booted for good measure - it seemed to work for a while, but then hit problems with backend crashing - put it all back and it still wasn't working, but again noticed the backend wasn't running. now running the backend in a terminal - is OK for now - will see what happens if I leave it alone.

* - by the way despite the odd self inflicted stability problem I still love MythTV - thanks to you and everyone who is working on it.