HVR1600 tuner lockups

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jimls
Junior
United States of America

HVR1600 tuner lockups

Post by jimls » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 pm

I have two HVR1600 tuners for OTA. Just using the ATSC tuners but have the NTSC ones set up. Occasionally and more frequently lately at least one of the tuners will lock up and not work until I power off the PC and restart. This was very infrequent at first so I set up to restart the machine early each day but with this happening more I am getting very low SAF. :o The cards run hot so I have increased ventilation around them - not sure if the issue is related to heat. Have seen the issue posted at least one place.

Am running Ubuntu 14.04 with Myth 0.027+fixes. Has this been addressed in newer distros/drivers?

How can I tell what tuner was used to record which program? Is this in the logs? The failed recordings show up in the GUI but when selected I get the error that it can't find the file. I want to determine if the failures are always on the same tuner. If so I could just pull that card for a temporary solution.

I tried recording two shows at once and both recorded ok so both cards work some of the time.

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: HVR1600 tuner lockups

Post by wesnewell » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Failure to record could be caused by many problems besides the tuner cards. I'd upgrade the software, reseat the cards and antenna inputs before buying new cards. With atsc 3.0 now approved and the transition coming I don't think I'd buy new cards right now unless it was absolutely necessary. They will be worthless in a few years. You can find lots of cheap atsc cards on ebay under $20. You can look at scheduled recordings to see which tuner will be used to record a show. You can find new pcie quad tuner cards for under $100,
Backend-GF8200A, AMD Phenom II B95, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

jimls
Junior
United States of America

Re: HVR1600 tuner lockups

Post by jimls » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:21 am

I would like to know what tuner was used for past recordings rather than future ones so I can look at what didn't record and what tuner was used.

I do need to upgrade...

The transition to ATSC V3 requires broadcasters in the US to continue also broadcasting the current version for at least 5 years and fairly sure the clock hasn't even started yet. So I can live with 5+ years functionality.

I have cheap cards now - picked them both up used so they may have issues beyond the typical of that model. Looking at the Silicon Dust boxes as people seem to be happy with them.