DVB-T2 HD receiver with CI+

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

marco.hahn
Newcomer
Germany

DVB-T2 HD receiver with CI+

Post by marco.hahn »

Hello,

are there any DVB-T2 HD (as used in Germany) receivers that have a CI+ slot? So far, I have only found receivers with CI slot. Preferably, the receiver should work with Linux and connect via USB. However, other OSes and PCI/PCIe would be OK as well.

Thanks for any feedback.

Marco
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Re: DVB-T2 HD receiver with CI+

Post by dekarl »

marco.hahn wrote:CI+ ... Preferably, the receiver should work with Linux
I am not aware of any way to make CI+ work with open source software that is not legally dubious.
Heinz
Newcomer
Germany

Post by Heinz »

I think, only the technical aspect was asked about... 8-)
@Marco: Look here: http://www.xoro.de/produkte/receiver-fu ... t/dvbt2hd/
- but first only made for irdeto method. Look at SAT>IP-Server and follow the thread (I hope, someone will answer...! 8_) )
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl »

Heinz wrote:only the technical aspect was asked about...
I think we have been misunderstanding each other... I understood the OP's question to be related to MythTV (or other open source DVR software) somehow. We can and do support conditional access (Pay TV with encrypted channels, but without DRM).
But CI+/DRM is impossible to enforce for us.
Currently implemented is a 90 minute timeshift restriction on all private channels on DVB-T2 HD according to http://www.areadvd.de/news/dvb-t2-hd-au ... -tv-modul/
And somehow digitally recording the channels via other technical means gets very close to piracy related solutions that we do not want to be associated with MythTV.
marco.hahn
Newcomer
Germany

Post by marco.hahn »

dekarl wrote:I am not aware of any way to make CI+ work with open source software that is not legally dubious.
What are the issues here? Is this a general CI+ thing or only relevant for DVB-T2?
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl »

marco.hahn wrote:
dekarl wrote:I am not aware of any way to make CI+ work with open source software that is not legally dubious.
What are the issues here? Is this a general CI+ thing or only relevant for DVB-T2?
Its a general DRM thing. You need a software stack that can enforce stuff like "only 90 minute timeshift!". So you need to use some custom recording storage that no program that can handle it will play once the 90 minutes are over.
With open source its hard to avoid someone commenting out the "if time is up then stop/deny playing" part.
marco.hahn
Newcomer
Germany

Post by marco.hahn »

Hello dekarl,

I am new to this topic. Does conditional access mean CI and DRM mean CI+? So mythtv supports CI, but not CI+, regardless of the source (e.g. DVB-T2 or DVB-S)?

In the end, I need to upgrade my DVB-T setup to have TV after end of March. Means hardware (see original question, I have not found any CI+ receiver for PCs) and software, e.g. mythtv.

I understand your point about open source and DRM completely.