Configuring the "Watch List"

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ricks03
Junior
United States of America

Configuring the "Watch List"

Post by ricks03 »

I know how to enable/disable the Watch List display on the Front End. What I"m wondering is whether there's a user-configurable way to modify what it's displaying and how it's sorted? What I want to see is the oldest version of a particular series by air date. Right now a) that's not what always happens, b) it sometimes displays multiple episodes from a series, where I'd prefer it only show one.

Digging about through the wiki, the actual algorithm seems to be a bit of a black box to the developmentally-challenged end-user
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Configuring the "Watch List"

Post by dizygotheca »

It's not configurable. AIUI it was an old, experimental feature that has long been neglected and rarely mentioned.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12296 describes the (bizarre) algorithm and how I modified it for my own use.
But it hasn't been committed owing to lack of interest. Maybe I should ask again.
The patches are old now. If you build from source, I can supply a recent one.

The existing implementation groups by recording rule, so your 'multiple series' may arise from using different rules (an old, deleted one and a new one for the same show). There's no easy fix for that.

By "airdate" do you mean the time that Myth recorded it ? Or a 'US network' date-that-this-episode-was-aired-somewhere that comes from SD ?

IIRC it has a bug in that the episode selection is (inversely) related to the ordering of the "All Programmes", ie if your "All Programmes" is showing oldest first, then the watchlist selects the most recent recording of a series. If "All Programmes" is showing newest first, then the watchlist selects the oldest recording of a series. Maybe that's what you're seeing.
ricks03
Junior
United States of America

Post by ricks03 »

Thanks for the details. I meant "by original airdate" because I"d always want to watch the first aired version of something. (If I missed an episode from long ago, I'd want to watch it first).
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Post by dizygotheca »

Do you not get season/episode numbers from SD or metadata lookup ?
ricks03
Junior
United States of America

Post by ricks03 »

I do. But I want the Watch List to use them, and it doesn't appear to. I can have a series, with many things unwatched, and what shows up in the watch list isn't always the oldest show by air date.