[solved] MythTV could not connect to the database

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
xmjsilverx
Junior
United States of America

[solved] MythTV could not connect to the database

Post by xmjsilverx »

When trying to run the backend setup I get the country selection screen and then I get "MythTV could not connect to the database." I have installed it from the software cener which is 0.27.0 and from the ppa which is 0.27.1 using Ubuntu 14.04 and they both do the same thing. I cannot get to the configuration screen.
xmjsilverx
Junior
United States of America

Re: MythTV could not connect to the database

Post by xmjsilverx »

More information that may help. The Xterm says can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld.sock'
Merlin83b
Junior
Great Britain

Post by Merlin83b »

Is mysql running? Try "service mysql start" from a terminal and then try the backend setup again.
xmjsilverx
Junior
United States of America

Post by xmjsilverx »

I had tried that before but I actually got it working now. I ended up reinstalling and setting the MySQL password to mythtv. I don't know why that worked. I think everything I looked at said to not enter a password. Anyway, I am able to get to the setup screen, now I just have to figure that out. Thanks.
trunkmonkey
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: [solved] MythTV could not connect to the database

Post by trunkmonkey »

MythTV under Ubuntu generates a random database password instead of the common/standard "mythtv" password. You can find this password by having a look at /etc/mythtv/config.xml on your back end.
Dual Xeon L5420 VM Host/NAS | Mythbuntu 14.04/Myth 0.27| HDHR Prime | 3x XIOS DS XBMC 13.1 w/cymyth
xmjsilverx
Junior
United States of America

Post by xmjsilverx »

Thanks, could you possibly help me out with my other post on here about setting up the capture card?
anderson26
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by anderson26 »

Hello,

My old Mythbuntu PC kicked the bucket so I chose to manufacture another home theater PC utilizing the full version Ubuntu 16.04LTS with MythTV, KODI, and my HDHomerun tuner. The LTS introduced without any issues, however, in the wake of introducing MythTV and MySQL continue getting the 'powerless to discover database' mistake message in fantasy backend setup. I introduced MythTV first utilizing Ubuntu Applications. Since I couldn't discover mysql recorded there, I introduced it utilizing sudo well-suited get introduce mysql. I have attempted the means, again and again, re-booting en route, to endeavor to get fantasy backend to discover the database, however it never does. I am ready to sign into the database through the terminal, so I realize the database is there and working.
Thanks...