mythtv-master OSX frontend builds

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
warpme
Translator
Poland

mythtv-master OSX frontend builds

Post by warpme »

Hi,
Just FYI if anybody needs standalone .app of mythfrontend....
I'm building in regular way mythfrontend master for OSX.

It is standalone MAC .app with all plugins except:

1. MythWeather (due problems with some Perl deps which I don't have time to investigate)
2. MythNetVision (due problems with some Perl deps)

Current build is v33-Pre-893-ge64f9def64 (r893; 18/09/2022) build on macOS Big Sur 11.7 with Qt5.15.2, Xcode 12.4

You can download zipped .app from:

https://github.com/warpme/mythv-osx-bui ... t/releases

happy watching!

PS: Maybe useful might be to make make this post sticky....
Last edited by warpme on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.
CheckeredFlag
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: mythtv-master OSX frontend builds

Post by CheckeredFlag »

I'm eager to try this since I'm having all kinds of stability issues using a newer OSX mythfrontend with a Mythbuntu 0.28 backend.

However, I'm getting "Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database." I presume I just need to define the backend IP, username & password, but I don't know where it's looking for it. My ~/.mythtv/config.xml is properly defined.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

CheckeredFlag wrote:I'm eager to try this since I'm having all kinds of stability issues using a newer OSX mythfrontend with a Mythbuntu 0.28 backend.

However, I'm getting "Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database." I presume I just need to define the backend IP, username & password, but I don't know where it's looking for it. My ~/.mythtv/config.xml is properly defined.
With Myth, the frontend and backend *must* be running the same version. "master" is not the same as 0.28. master will become 0.29, when released.

You can try the pre-built 0.28 app from:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_on_Mac ... _Downloads

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Curious as to what would be the purpose of the frontend only build? Where would one obtain the backend only?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

sfatula wrote:Curious as to what would be the purpose of the frontend only build? Where would one obtain the backend only?
Normal case is that the backend is already running on Linux but you want to use the frontend to watch stuff on an OSX machine.

Craig
CheckeredFlag
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by CheckeredFlag »

pvr4me wrote: With Myth, the frontend and backend *must* be running the same version. "master" is not the same as 0.28. master will become 0.29, when released.

You can try the pre-built 0.28 app from:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_on_Mac ... _Downloads

Craig
Ahhh...I didn't realize this was a 0.29 build. I've tried the pre-built binary for 0.28, but it's been very unstable. It connects just fine to my mythbuntu backend, but hangs every time when trying to play anything. I never had problems with 0.27 frontends prior to upgrading my backend.

Any idea where I can find a more recent 0.28 build? I'm hoping a "fixes" build might fix the problems I'm seeing. I've tried building it myself, but I'm having a really hard time getting it to build successfully.

I'm eagerly anticipating a MacPorts release!
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

CheckeredFlag wrote:Ahhh...I didn't realize this was a 0.29 build. I've tried the pre-built binary for 0.28, but it's been very unstable. It connects just fine to my mythbuntu backend, but hangs every time when trying to play anything. I never had problems with 0.27 frontends prior to upgrading my backend.

Any idea where I can find a more recent 0.28 build? I'm hoping a "fixes" build might fix the problems I'm seeing. I've tried building it myself, but I'm having a really hard time getting it to build successfully.

I'm eagerly anticipating a MacPorts release!
If there are problems with the bundled app build, then a MacPorts build is also likely to suffer. A "fix" will only be coming if the devs (and/or the packagers) know there is a problem. I don't think I've seen any such bug reports. What is the source material you are trying to play? Can you post the frontend log?

Craig
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

warpme wrote:... Current build is 121b636 (r379; 19/03/2017) build on macOS Sierra 10.12.3 with Qt5.5.1 and all MiniMyth2 v8.8.1 patches
Are the MiniMyth patches summarized somewhere?

Craig
warpme
Translator
Poland

Post by warpme »

pvr4me wrote:
warpme wrote:... Current build is 121b636 (r379; 19/03/2017) build on macOS Sierra 10.12.3 with Qt5.5.1 and all MiniMyth2 v8.8.1 patches
Are the MiniMyth patches summarized somewhere?

Craig
Well - there is no summary per-se - but You can see some comments on my GIT:

Here is list of patches + some comments:
https://github.com/warpme/minimyth2/blo ... v/Makefile

Patch files are here:
https://github.com/warpme/minimyth2/tre ... thtv/files

In case of any Q - pls don't hesitate to contact me :-p
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Quite the list of patches!!

Do you apply all the frontend-related patches to your builds of the frontend for OS X?

Are you using the osx-packager-whatever.pl script for building? If so, you must have updated it quite a bit? Is that available somewhere?

Craig
warpme
Translator
Poland

Post by warpme »

pvr4me wrote:Quite the list of patches!!
Well, indeed.
But I'm using them in all my production systems and all ver. of MM2.
No any negative reports so far.
On the other hand almost every patch has clearly measurable benefits for me (i.e. extra functionality or i.e. startup time reduced from 12 to 7..8sec).
Some of them are exclusively for backend (i.e. 0003 reducing percent of failed rec. from 1..0.5% to 0.001% levels or 0009 reducing master BE idle power from ~70W to 55-60W).
In fact IMHO it will be good to include majority of them into mainline code....
pvr4me wrote:Do you apply all the frontend-related patches to your builds of the frontend for OS X?
yes - except v.speciffic to MM2 patches like i.e. 0288/0299
pvr4me wrote:Are you using the osx-packager-whatever.pl script for building? If so, you must have updated it quite a bit? Is that available somewhere?

Craig
Modified osx-packager (by JYA) is subsequently called to just build mythtv.
I have master script automating GIT pull, patching, etc - so producing new .ver of frontend.app is just calling master script and simply wait few min as compilation finishes...