Apple TV

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
UKenGB
Junior
Great Britain

Apple TV

Post by UKenGB »

Here's a radical thought. What about MythTV frontend as an app on the latest Apple TV?

Since I want to be sharing iTunes simultaneously to MythTV, I need TVs alongside my MythTV frontends in any case and neither are large so not a huge problem. But how much more elegant would be just the single box, a new 4th gen TV that can access the iTunes shares AND run MythTV frontend to access all the videos/movies from the MythTV backend server. Now that is THE perfect solution. Not to mention anything else that you could be running on the TV.

But even for those with no need of iTunes sharing, what a fantastic piece of hardware to use as a MythTV frontend. Small, neat, obviously capable of any video requirement and cheaper than any PC based hardware. No local storage obviously, but that's not a problem as everything would be on the backend and no different to running say MiniMyth as a diskless frontend.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. So, what are the chances? Has anyone looked into this? Please do, it would be such a great solution. How hard would it be to re-code the frontend as an TV app?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Apple TV

Post by pvr4me »

One of the problems of having both a forum and a mailing list is that sometimes stuff gets announced/discussed on one and not the other. Yes, an enterprising developer has already released a MythTV frontend for AppleTV 4:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/592039

I believe he's charging USD $4. Initial reports from users are quite favourable. I'm very interested but I'm out of hdmi inputs so I need to make some other changes before the new AppleTV makes any sense for me.

BTW, I note that at least one person is successfully playing untranscoded MPEG2 high-def recordings (from US broadcast) via wifi (AC). That surprised a few of us--on two fronts: both codec support and sufficient bandwidth on wireless.

While the ATV4 isn't the cheapest box out there, it is a really promising combination for us Myth users with some other Apple gear.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
UKenGB
Junior
Great Britain

Post by UKenGB »

Many thanks for pointing me to that. Great minds think alike :-)

Now I know about that, I'll have to get an TV.4 now and try it out.
flitter
Newcomer
Australia

Post by flitter »

Hi,

Does this still exist? I can't find it on the app store

Thanks!
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Flitter wrote:Does this still exist? I can't find it on the app store
You have to search on an AppleTV; TVOS apps are not displayed on other devices. Maybe at an Apple Store or other retailer?

Craig
flitter
Newcomer
Australia

Post by flitter »

Thanks - yes I looked on the AppleTV but it's not showing up. There's very few TV apps on the Australian store so it should be easy to see I thought...
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Flitter wrote:Thanks - yes I looked on the AppleTV but it's not showing up. There's very few TV apps on the Australian store so it should be easy to see I thought...
The developer posts on the mythtv-users list, from time to time. Hopefully he won't mind me mentioning that email address here:

bart.lists at whiteley.org

You might try contacting him directly.

Craig
flitter
Newcomer
Australia

Post by flitter »

It looks like it's arrived on the Australian app store now, $14.99 well spend as it seems to work really well! (certainly better than the uPNP client I was using!)