MythTV backend only sees one hdhomerun

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jmcarron
Junior
United States of America

MythTV backend only sees one hdhomerun

Post by jmcarron »

mythtv-backend runs on AMD Ryzen5 5600G with two hdhomerun-prime units connected directly to the PC (no router or switch involved). The OS (Ubuntu 22.04) sees both IP addresses (169.254.x.x) with no problem. hdhomerun_config sees both HDHomeruns with no problem. Mythtv-setup sees both with correct IP addresses and I can configure both with no problem. Mythtv-backend only sees one. How can I get the mythtv backend to see both?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: MythTV backend only sees one hdhomerun

Post by bill6502 »

Is it possible you're seeing one tuner from each unit rather than just one dual tuner unit?

If so, https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... ture_Cards should
help. All tuners must be defined, not just the HDHR itself now. Or, if you choose, you can use
a portion of the tuners for MythTV and let other devices access remaining tuners.
jmcarron
Junior
United States of America

Post by jmcarron »

The backend is definitely seeing the 3 tuners on one of the HDHR Primes. It does not see the other Prime at all. I reran the Backend Setup and it correctly identified both HDHR Primes with three tunes each and allowed me to define the tuners (odd numbered tuners on one Prime and even numbered tuners on the other). The backend sees the three tuners on one Prime and also sees two non-existent tuners on the same Prime but does not see anything on the other Prime.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Are all six tuners connected to the video source?
jmcarron
Junior
United States of America

Post by jmcarron »

Yes.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

OK, now it gets interesting!
Can you please post the content of the table capturecard in the database?
You can do this as follows:
Login to the database works like this with the default username and password:

Code: Select all

mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
and then this command gives the interesting bits of table capturecard:

select cardid,parentid,videodevice,cardtype,hostname,sourceid from capturecard;
and please post the output of that.
jmcarron
Junior
United States of America

Post by jmcarron »

(mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg) yields ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES).
I have also established passworeds for USER root and for my own username, however both fail with the same error message even though they have worked reliably in the past.
Dai_Trying
Junior
Great Britain

Post by Dai_Trying »

you will need to replace the part "-pmythtv" with your local mythtv password which can be gained from the file ~/.mythtv/config.xml, the below command should show this

grep Password .mythtv/config.xml
which could yield something like

<Password>Abc123yZ/Password>
and so the replaced command would be this (for this example)

mysql -u mythtv -pAbc123yZ mythconverg
so keep the "-p" and replace the "mythtv"
jmcarron
Junior
United States of America

Post by jmcarron »

To Dai_Trying: Thanks, that worked.
To kmdewaal:

+--------+----------+-------------+-----------+------------+----------+
| cardid | parentid | videodevice | cardtype  | hostname   | sourceid |
|      1 |        0 | 131F9021    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
|      2 |        0 | 1323BF1D    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
|      3 |        0 | 131F9021    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
|      4 |        0 | 1323BF1D    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
|      5 |        0 | 131F9021    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
|      6 |        0 | 1323BF1D    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
|      7 |        5 | 131F9021    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
|      8 |        3 | 131F9021    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
|      9 |        1 | 131F9021    | HDHOMERUN | MythTV-MBE |        1 |
9 rows in set (0.00 sec)
Last edited by bill6502 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code block around SQL output
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The capturecard configuration looks good. It is the 131F9021 that is working OK and the 1323BF1D that is not used by the backend, because there are virtual tuners created for the 131F9021.
However, the actual cause of your problem is still a mystery, so there are more questions.
- From your post I understand that your mythbacked PC has at least 3 NICs; one for each HDHomeRun and probably one normal network connection. Is that correct?
- With mythtv-setup, if you do a channel scan you can select the capture card that you want to do the scan with. Can you do a good channel scan with capture cards from either HDHomeRun?
- Have you tried connecting one or both HDHomeRuns to your normal network? It will get a different IP address, assuming you have a DHCP server. It could be you need to reconfigure with mythtv-setup but I am not sure, it could be automatic via the HDHomeRun device ID.
- Have you tried exchanging the HDHomeRuns, so exchanging the network connections?
- Can you post a log of the backend startup, preferably with "-v channel" for addditional log messages? This might be too big to post here, but possibly you can post a link to a file sharing website.
jmcarron
Junior
United States of America

Post by jmcarron »

If by virtual tuners you are referring to cardid 7,8,9, I don't know where they came from. I would like to delete them. How
can I do that?
- Yes, the backend has 3 NICs.
- I don't scan for channels, I use the use channels from listing source (Schedules Direct) option in mythtv-setup
- I specifically do not want the HDHomeruns to be available on the network, that's why I plug them directly into the backend PC.
- Yes I have tried exchanging the Homerooms. The backend sees the HDHomerun on port enp4s0f1(169.254.10.20). It does not see the one on enp4s0f0(169.254.0.20). When I run "ip a" or ifconfig, they indicate both ports are up.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

If by virtual tuners you are referring to cardid 7,8,9, I don't know where they came from. I would like to delete them. How
can I do that?
Virtual tuners are created automatically to receive additional programs from a single tuner when needed. For HDHomeRun this feature cannot be disabled. See the Channel Scanning wiki page https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Multirec. There is no reason to delete the virtual tuners.
- Yes I have tried exchanging the Homerooms. The backend sees the HDHomerun on port enp4s0f1(169.254.10.20). It does not see the one on enp4s0f0(169.254.0.20). When I run "ip a" or ifconfig, they indicate both ports are up.
This then indicates that both HDHomeRuns are OK as far as MythTV is concerned; the issue seems to be in the networking part. I do have a machine with two HDHomeRuns but one is connected on a private NIC with AutoIP, like you have, but the other is on the general network.
- I don't scan for channels, I use the use channels from listing source (Schedules Direct) option in mythtv-setup
I do not see how this might make a difference. Channels are attached to the video source and all capture cards connected to that video source can be receive the channels from that video source.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

When the channels are created by a channel scan with mythtv-setup then the tuning data is stored in DVB format, with service ID, transport ID etc.
Channels defined like this can be received on any capture card connected to that video source, as mentioned earlier.

It is also possible to receive channels with HTTP streaming. Both the channels and the URL can be retrieved directly from the HDHomeRun itself, as described in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... nel_Import.

However, the URL used for HTTP streaming does contain the IP address and hence this does work only for one HDHomeRun. The problem as described could be caused by channels with an URL pointing to one HDHomeRun and thus not to the other.
On the other hand, the presence of virtual capture cards indicates that DVB-style tuning is used because this is not done when using HTTP streaming.

Problem is that I do not really know what happens when you use mythtfilldatabase and SchedulesDirect to create a channel list for a HDHomeRun, as I use only EIT and not SchedulesDirect.

Maybe someone reading this saga can comment on this?
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

This may not be your problem but I'll throw it in anyway.
Have you tried reboot or power cycling the HDHR? Last year I had a situation of a single tuner randomly freezing. Single recordings would fail, a second recording which chose the next tuner worked.
Quite why it locked up is unclear but once it was locked up only rebooting the HDHR would clear it.
Fortunately, I have not seen the problem again since HDHR warranty replacement, together with an HDHR reboot when starting the backend. Removing the HDHR from hot Summer temperatures in the loft may have been a factor too.

As an aside, your direct connections are interesting - mine is connected via a TPLINK gigabit switch which is stable but it really is not happy with the switch (also claimed to be gigabit) built into my Vodaphone supplied router.

Phil
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

@jmcarron if you feel like doing some experimenting then I suggest the following.
- Create a new video source
- Connect all HDHomeRun tuners to the new video source
- Do a channel scan with mythtv-setup on a tuner of the first HDHomeRun with a Full Scan. This should find all channels that you can receive.
- Do a channel scan with mythtv-setup on a tuner of the second HDHomeRun. This should find all existing channels and it should not find new channels. This verifies that mythtv-setup does work with the second HDHomeRun.
- Use mythfilldatabase to get the XMLTVID values and to get the guide data, but do not let it add or delete channels.

My guess is that mythbackend might just work with both HDHomeRuns using this configuration.
If this does not work then you can delete the video source and everything is cleaned up.