Trouble with Multiple Tuners

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
aguilafan
Newcomer
United States of America

Trouble with Multiple Tuners

Post by aguilafan »

Hi,

Yesterday, I setup both the front and backend of the MythTV client as well as my HDHomeRun Prime CableCard tuner, using the instructions outlined at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime.

The good news is that I am able to watch and record live TV on my Mac. The problem is that it only works with one tuner. When I try hitting the 'C' key it does not move to the second or third tuners as expected and instead remains on the first tuner (Tuner 0 aka HDHomeRun Prime 1). Also, if I try to schedule three recordings, only one show will be recorded.

I did some research online and saw that the problem might have been that all three tuners were assigned to the same input group (Generic). I went ahead and assigned them each to their own group (Generic, Generic 1 and Generic 2), but that didn't seem to have any impact.

Another point to note is that when I run the command mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all, it appears that only one source is referenced:

2014-12-07 09:40:39.504861 I Updating source #1 (Verizon FiOS TV Listings) with grabber schedulesdirect1

Shouldn't there be three sources in total to represent the three tuners? Perhaps this is the issue?

My knowledge of SQL is somewhat limited so I thought I'd throw it out to the forum to see what the problem might be and how I can go about resolving it.

Thanks,
Phil
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Trouble with Multiple Tuners

Post by pvr4me »

This isn't an OSX-specific problem, so could a mod please move it to a more appropriate section?

That said, I think something must be wrong in the configuration of the tuners. I think you should shut down the backend and use mythtv-setup to delete all tuners and then re-add them. (BTW, did you note that you have to change "Max recordings to 1"?) You only need one source since I presume they all receive the exact same group of channels. Attach the source to all three tuners and try again. AFAIK, you don't need separate Input Groups; delete them.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
aguilafan
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by aguilafan »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for replying back so soon. I just gave that a try and I am still encountering the same issue.

Just to confirm that my settings are accurate...

In the Capture Card menu, I have three tuners configured (Tuner 0, 1, 2). Each tuner is set so that the Max Recordings field set to '1'.

In the Input Connections menu, I again can see the three tuners. Each belong to the same input group, "Generic". Do the Live TV Order and Schedule Order need to be set to any specific values?

After I applied these changes, I re-started the backend and ran the myth_filldatabase script, but I am still only able to watch and record from Tuner 0.

Is there anything else you recommend that I try?

Thanks,
Phil
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Live and Schedules should be non 0 and in opposite order. In your case,
3, 2, 1 and 1, 2, 3 respectively. If that doesn't help, looking at the log from
the latest run of the backend may give some clues.
aguilafan
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by aguilafan »

Hi,

I tried setting up the Live and Schedules using the suggested settings and I am still not able to tune to either the second or third tuners on the device.

Is it possible that the HDHomeRun Prime is defective?

Also, what would be the best way to extract the log file referenced?

Thanks,
Phil
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

aguilafan
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by aguilafan »

Thanks, I attached the most recent log file.
Attachments
mythbackend.20141209000814.18933.log
Log File
(27.86 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

I'm surprised Myth is working for you at all. The log contains several complaints that no Storage Group Directories are defined:

Code: Select all

2014-12-08 19:14:34.052685 E [18933/1287] CoreContext storagegroup.cpp:184 (Init) - SG(Default): Unable to find any Storage Group Directories.  Using hardcoded default value of '/mnt/store'
That default simply doesn't exist on OS X. See the MacPorts wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts#Med ... _Locations

Craig
aguilafan
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by aguilafan »

That's strange because during the initial setup I defined my media storage location as my external hard drive enclosure and the recordings are in fact being saved to that location.

I just verified by recording an clip from WWE RAW and playing it back from the hard drive with no issue.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

aguilafan wrote:That's strange because during the initial setup I defined my media storage location as my external hard drive enclosure and the recordings are in fact being saved to that location.

I just verified by recording an clip from WWE RAW and playing it back from the hard drive with no issue.
Strange or not, I didn't make this up--check what you have entered in mythtv-setup. Is it possible that the disk wasn't mounted when the backend started? I presume you've use Myth_Stop_Start to set up the backend to run automatically? (So it gets the right userid, environment, etc.)

I also notice that your system has the name "home.local". That's a bit unusual for an OS X machine. You didn't change the computer name after doing mythtv-setup, did you?

Craig
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

/mnt/store is the hardcoded default when no Storage Groups exist.
https://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tre ... up.cpp#n15
aguilafan wrote:That's strange because during the initial setup I defined my media storage location...
That sounds like an 'old' way to setup directories. You must use Storage Groups in the 1st screen on
mythtv-setup.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

To be more explicit, in mythtv-setup, go to "7. Storage Directories", ensure Default is selected and press Enter then add or edit the path to the default storage directory. Escape to exit and then define any others that you wish. Perhaps you only defined LiveTV, before?

Craig
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

aguilafan wrote:Thanks, I attached the most recent log file.
Thanks. Your HDHRs are defined like: 192.168.1.23-2, where mine
are: 131716E9-0 (and -1 -2.) You don't need to put the IP addresses
in, the other format should be detected automatically.

I know, initially when I set mine up, I had a firewall blocking the HDHR.

It won't fix this problem, but you should fix your startup script/program
to set LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE, and LANG variables most likely to:
en_US.UTF-8.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

bill6502 wrote:
aguilafan wrote:Thanks, I attached the most recent log file.
Thanks. Your HDHRs are defined like: 192.168.1.23-2, where mine
are: 131716E9-0 (and -1 -2.) You don't need to put the IP addresses
in, the other format should be detected automatically.

I know, initially when I set mine up, I had a firewall blocking the HDHR.

It won't fix this problem, but you should fix your startup script/program
to set LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE, and LANG variables most likely to:
en_US.UTF-8.
Good catch on the HDHR setup.

Re LC_*, AFAICT, those variables aren't normally set on OS X. There is, however, a LANG variable that seems to amount to the same thing. On two of my systems (different versions of OS X), it is set to "en_CA.UTF-8". Other than the couple of lines in each log, the lack of LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE doesn't seem to have any ill effects on Myth on OS X. Nonetheless, perhaps Myth could be modified on OS X to look at LANG?

Craig