The future of MythTV

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ulmus-scott
Junior
United States of America

Re: The future of MythTV

Post by ulmus-scott »

Re: yawlhoo wesnewell paulh
Mythfrontend infinite resurrection (on Ubuntu and probably Debian)
See https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/commit/bc160d097b1de3c6a25e659b87951f06a3e12bc8
Just calling mythfrontend.real, probably changes the logging behavior. Instead, modify the script as above or the .desktop file to not pass the --service parameter to disable the auto-restarting entirely (and also not use mythwelcome?). Now also applied to fixes/31 and /30.
Lost Dog wrote: It's a great pair with the HDHR but starting in about v30.0 I've found the two have not been as solid together with MythTV randomly not seeing the tuners. Restarting the frontend / backend makes it work again. Making this hardware combo bulletproof would be great.
This might be because mythbackend starts before it can access the tuners (and presumably doesn’t retry if it has failed). I worked around it with systemd to check if

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config discover
succeeds before starting the backend service. I need to test this again, and on master.
philB wrote: Credentials: I think that we need some consolidation with the backend credentials. They are held in two places with a conf.xml for the backend and one for the frontend. That’s confusing enough for novices, but then we have UPnP planted on top of it and a screen in frontend setup which together confuse! I’d like to see changes to the frontend setup:
1. It isn’t clear what the ping option is – it is more subtle than pinging the backend and needs explanation.
2. It needs a new button with a clear explanation: either use UPnP to get credentials from a zero-pin backend on the LAN - or – ignore UPnP and use the credentials in the other fields on the page.
3. The exit needs to be respected in Ubuntu environments. There should not be a demarcation dispute between *buntu and mythfrontend!
There is a config.xml for the database settings and a cache/contextcahe.xml for the frontend’s GUI settings, but you shouldn’t have to manually interact with either.

Regarding UPnP, I’m not sure the autodiscovery actually works properly. Some of the settings seem like they should be saved in config.xml, but aren’t.

Regarding 3, see commit above.
paulh wrote: I've yet to meet a developer that likes to do documentation ;) Peter did a bug cleanup of the docs some time back but it can always be improved. The wiki is user editable so anyone can correct/update/improve it as needed.
The wiki seems to have been mostly abandoned for almost a decade now. More to come on the dev mailing list.

Regarding the doxygen documentation, I might look into splitting it by library and program.
paulh wrote: As you probably can tell most old time developers have mostly lost interest or don't have time to work on MythTV but we have added a few new developers in recent years so while it's not exactly a thriving project it is still limping along.
To be fair, it’s not exactly like there are lots of new features to add.
paulh wrote: Myth used to shutdown when asked by the system but for some reason it was changed to block shutdown. I have no idea why. There should at least be a user option to change a setting to allow it to shutdown if that is what they want.
See https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/274 perhaps?
paulh wrote: I get the impression few users use MythTV like it should be as a dedicated system connected to a TV controlled by a remote control. I think most users seem to use it on multi purpose desktop system and {cringe} run it in a window :roll:
It works ok with a wireless keyboard. A remote would probably be better for playback (since its smaller), but I haven’t found a universal remote I like (granted I haven’t looked that hard). We have our combined frontend/backend connected to our TV.
wmorrison wrote: I like MythTV just fine as it is. The only concern I have, is will it support ATSC 3.0 by the time a significant number of stations start switching over. Which should be a few years at least, there's only one station around here on ATSC 3.0 so far. I don't want to go back to cable, or subscribe to a bunch of streaming services.
I concur. Some of the support is through the dependencies and not MythTV itself, however; e.g. ffmpeg doesn’t yet support the new audio codecs and I’m not sure it fully supports interlaced HEVC.

Regarding the original question, since we only use MythTV for recording US OTA (mostly PBS and some network shows), we’ll continue using it as long as it works. We’ve never had cable or any streaming service and we don’t plan on ever getting either.

We don’t use any plugins, nor do we have need for any. The UI in general is fine. I don’t think there is much you could do differently since you have to be able to read it from 10-15 feet away.

Someone mentioned that the commercial detection could be improved. Maybe someone could try applying machine learning concepts.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

It's a great pair with the HDHR but starting in about v30.0 I've found the two have not been as solid together with MythTV randomly not seeing the tuners. Restarting the frontend / backend makes it work again. Making this hardware combo bulletproof would be great.
This might be because mythbackend starts before it can access the tuners (and presumably doesn’t retry if it has failed). I worked around it with systemd to check if

hdhomerun_config discover
succeeds before starting the backend service. I need to test this again, and on master.
For Mythbuntu users who own an HDHomeRun and want to use the described solution to have the backend wait until the HDHomeRun is accessible before starting, one option is to use Mythbuntu Control Panel and select the HDHomeRun option.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbuntu
https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/myth ... un;#635223

Ted | My blog
kenane
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kenane »

I've been using MythTV since about 2004. I went back through my records to see when specifically I started, but the earliest date I could find was May 29, 2004 when I subscribed to Zap2It.

For multiple reasons, I haven't updated my mythbackend in about 10 years. It is still recording shows, but I have all of six channels that I can record that aren't encoded. I use the cable TV provider's DVR for all of the other channels that are encrypted. I can't stand it.

However, my family doesn't watch TV as much as it used to. We are all watching Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, etc... using streaming. So, I'm now considering cutting the cord (and saving about $150 per month).

What would make MythTV much more useful is if it could record shows from Netflix and Disney+, similar to what PlayOn does (which I've never used). The software would record and save shows to be watched at a later time, exactly like we do with MythTV, except it would record over the internet (not over the air or coax).

Being able to record streamed shows to watch later would be useful for multiple reasons. For example, the same shows are being watched by multiple family members, but at different times. If each of us watch the same shows, but at different times, then my data usage goes up significantly. Instead, by recording once, and then using a video server to allow others to watch internally to my network would reduce data costs, especially these days with remote learning and Zooming.

Additionally, you could record a number of shows and then suspend your subscription and switch to a different provider from time to time to record the latest shows of interest on those "channels." That would allow additional cost savings. Right now I'm waiting for my wife to finish watching Outlander on Netflix so that we can switch to Disney+ for a while. Although, I will admit that the cost of these channels isn't high, having all my shows in one place would be nice.

If MythTV could provide such a capability, then I would be willing to upgrade my system again for the next decade. As it currently stands, as soon as I stop my cable TV service, my MythTV box will only last until we finish watching all the shows currently recorded. That will be a sad day...

-Kenan
hawk
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by hawk »

I would just like to add, I've been a happy user of MythTV for over 15 years now and still using it. Thanks to the documentation I've not had a problem that I couldn't solve. I'd be very sad if the project starts to wind down and I imagine there are quite a few using it who haven't necessarily registered in the forums. I don't have any feature requests, only to keep supporting the latest library versions that Myth depends on. I use Ubuntu and keep on the latest supported LTE version so I am on top of security updates. Next one is 22.04. Keep up the good work, and thanks to all those who have made a contribution, even if only in the forums. It's not something that should be taken for granted.
urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr »

What about developing a MythTV channel for the Roku player?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

urbnsr wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 pm
What about developing a MythTV channel for the Roku player?
A quick search found this :-
https://github.com/ear9mrn/MythRokuPlayer

It's not been updated in a long time so probably needs updating but it could be a good start for anyone interested.

There is also this on the wiki :-
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ROKU_HD_Frontend

Again not been updated in a long while. It's easy to start projects like these but it takes real dedication to keep them going. Anyone who has helped an open source project knows it can be a pretty thankless task at times :(
zakaron
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by zakaron »

I've been using MythTV for about 7 years now. Started off in a FreeBSD jail on FreeNAS 9.3 with version .27. Due to jail changes (warden to iocage) my jail was locked and not upgradable. I've now moved to version 31 on Ubuntu in a VM on FreeNAS, I mean TrueNAS 12. My original goal was to use 1 frontend box with 1 remote for watching recorded & downloaded content, live TV, and streaming services (Netflix at the time).

Mythbackend - I love the flexibility of having the backend run on a headless server. I have a custom script that transcodes all recordings with HandbrakeCLI to MP4 files and marks commercials as chapters with MP4Box. I then run it through Myth2Kodi to rename and move to directories in which Kodi / MrMC can read into the library. I think its fantastic that the system gives you the ability to integrate post processing scripts and even integration with API calls. I also have a cron job that will delete recordings via API calls that are older than 2 weeks. This is important to keep the number of actual recordings down since Kodi / MrMC plug-in does not handle thousands of recordings very well.

MrMC / Kodi - I went this route to have all media content & playback on one device. I initially started with a simple Android box, but it proved finicky and froze often. I then switched to AppleTV 4 (by then my wife & I had iPhones). This provided 1 point of access to all content. If MythFrontend was available for AppleTV, I may have used that, but MrMC was just forked off of Kodi and provided that integration with MythTV to allow for all downloaded and recorded content to be viewed from its libraries, in addition to allowing live TV playback, all while using 1 remote (but don't get me started on the touch remote - that's another topic). The integration with MySQL is a nice feature to keep watched status synced across all instances of Kodi / MrMC. It was nice that I already had MySQL running from its use with the backend.

MythWeb - I use this strictly for managing recordings and doing quick checks on the system. To me, it is so much easier to view listings, search and set up recordings in a browser interface with either mouse & keyboard or touch screen if I'm on my phone. I have never set a recording in MrMC or Kodi; I am that pro MythWeb! I know that a successor, WebFrontend, is being developed, but I still use MythWeb and would hate to see it go (until WebFrontend becomes just as useful). I've managed my channel lineup through it as well. My wife didn't want to relearn new channel numbers for all the HD broadcasts, so I used MythWeb to rename all the HD channels to their SD channel number. It took some time, but that's the power of the MythTV environment. What other DVR system can accommodate such flexibility?

TL;DR:
Keep the flexibility of Mythbackend and allow it to run on its own. This gives the user the option to use MythFrontend as designed, or branch off into other frontends like Kodi like I found myself. And please keep / improve MythWeb or fully integrate it into WebFrontend. I really find it easy to manage recordings and other facets of MythTV in a browser.

Thank you to the developers who put countless hours into the software and allowed me to keep my cable & internet bill under $100/month. It will be a sad day if my provider decided to encrypt all channels.
weff
Junior
Australia

Post by weff »

Very late to this topic but wanted to chime in - you devs have done a bloody good job with MythTV!! Thank you so much, it's given our family a huge amount of entertainment over many, many years. Please, please, please keep it going and supported on fedora!!

In case you still need data, my setup is:

Mythtv-31 on fedora-34 as backend and frontend. It's all OTA freetv here in Australia.

Occasionally I use kodi on a tablet to view recordings.

Occasionally I use my own frontend https://gitlab.com/wef/dotfiles/-/blob/ ... lay-mythtv to select a recording and play it with mpv (mythfrontend can be a bit unstable).

I also have a Pi-3 for our second TV frontend (but rarely use it).

I use a homerunhd tuner (can tune to 2 freqs at once and up to 4 channels recording ie up to 2 channels on each duplex eg SBS or Channel9).

For other viewing we use Netflix on the Smart TV (better quality picture than firefox on fedora, although it suffers from the soap-opera effect - I can't turn off the TV's 'dynamic motion interpolation' or whatever it's called).

We also use mpv+youtube-dl to watch some SBS and Channel9 content without ads. Nice.

IMO, if mythtv usage is declining it's driven by streaming (as others have said) and the OTA channels quality declining as their emphasis moves elsewhere - as MythTV is primarily a PVR, it suffers too. As long as OTA is free and unencrypted here in Aus, I'll be using MythTV.

/:-------------:\          bhepple@nina 
       :-------------------::        ------------ 
     :-----------/shhOHbmp---:\      OS: Fedora release 34 (Thirty Four) x86_64 
   /-----------omMMMNNNMMD  ---:     Host: HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC 
  :-----------sMMMMNMNMP.    ---:    Kernel: 5.13.12-200.fc34.x86_64 
 :-----------:MMMdP-------    ---\   Uptime: 10 days, 19 hours, 45 mins 
,------------:MMMd--------    ---:   Packages: 2550 (rpm) 
:------------:MMMd-------    .---:   Shell: bash 5.1.0 
:----    oNMMMMMMMMMNho     .----:   Resolution: 1920x1080 
:--     .+shhhMMMmhhy++   .------/   WM: wlroots wm 
:-    -------:MMMd--------------:    Theme: Adwaita [GTK2] 
:-   --------/MMMd-------------;     Icons: Adwaita [GTK2] 
:-    ------/hMMMy------------:      Terminal: /dev/pts/1 
:-- :dMNdhhdNMMNo------------;       CPU: Intel i5-2400 (4) @ 3.400GHz 
:---:sdNMMMMNds:------------:        GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 4350/4550 
:------:://:-------------::          Memory: 4835MiB / 7898MiB 
:---------------------://
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

Is 2038 an issue with Mythtv? Is adopting 64 bit an automatic fix?
Phil
ulmus-scott
Junior
United States of America

Post by ulmus-scott »

PhilB wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:50 pm
Is 2038 an issue with Mythtv? Is adopting 64 bit an automatic fix?
MythTV uses QDateTime, which is 64 bit. One of MythTV's wrapper functions needs to be extended to 64 bits to match the Qt function, but otherwise it should already be 64 bits.
PurvisTV
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by PurvisTV »

I have a hybrid MythTV/Kodi system. I have been using MythTV since around the mid-2000s. My current Media Server is a low power NvidiaION system and has been running strong since around 2009 or so. I'm currently running version .27 on Ubuntu 14.04 to record and watch over the air TV, so I can't really speak to anything that has changed since that release. It works pretty well, so I'm not tempted at all to update and break anything. I use an HDHomeRun Connect Dual tuner, and I pay for Schedules Direct every year. I used to use a Hauppauge PCI card as a tuner, but it's semi-retired at the moment, due to where I had to place my antenna (in the attic) and my media server, when we moved into a new house.

One of things that has always bugged me since the very beginning is the MythTV frontend. Unless there's something I need to do that isn't available in Kodi, I almost never use it, opting to use Kodi and the MythTV PVR add-on instead. The fact that the MythTV frontend and backend must be the exact same version on all systems is very inconvenient, and I don't always have time to upgrade Linux, troubleshoot why things aren't working, and then also upgrade all my other frontend systems to the same version. I just don't have time to make sure my multiple systems' OS and MythTV versions are in sync. I don't have that issue when I use Kodi as a frontend. It can talk to any MythTV backend version, and I can stagger my upgrades whenever I have time. The main reason I use Kodi is because I like being able to update my frontend if I need to without having to touch/update the backend, and Kodi just simply looks/works better (for me), and there are many attractive skin options and customization features. Kodi also works on pretty much anything, Linux (Raspberry Pi, etc.), Windows, Android Tablets, Google TV, etc. Kodi integrates my bluray media library (backed up to mp4 or mkv) and Live TV/PVR all in one place. Kodi also has built in retro game emulators that I've only dabbled with a little bit, but I can see that being attractive to some people as well.

Like I said, I'm only familiar with .27, so forgive me if some of this has already been addressed in later versions, but in my opinion, the front end battle has already been won by Kodi. Going forward, I'd say focus on the core functions of the backend, maybe even adding support for ATSC 3.0. The front-end should maybe be more focused on setting up automated processes that the backend handles or for cutting commercials and transcoding. It always did that part pretty well. Add better built-in automated tools for easily transcoding (using handbrake cli) to mp4 or mkv (h264 or h265) to save disk space. NUV was always a bit weird, but I get that it was chosen originally for commercial cut lists. Kodi can use external EDL cut list files to skip commercials. I can also setup EDL lists to automatically skip the "adult" parts in movies so my kid won't see them. Lately for DVR recordings I want to keep, I usually download the mpg files using MythWeb and use AviDemux on my Desktop to cut commercials, transcode to mp4, then throw them into the media library side of my system for Kodi to scrape the metadata and get them ready for playback. MythWeb is also great for scheduling and managing recordings. I haven't tried WebFrontend, but I love MythWeb and would love to see it get some love!

Contrary to most, I do not watch a lot of streaming video services. I used to have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, but I just didn't watch them all that often, and it was too expensive for how rarely I watched them. I still have Amazon Prime, but mainly for the free shipping, not so much for the video service. Although occasionally it's nice to watch something on there, but I usually just use the built in app on my TV or Roku for that. I also use the free PlutoTV app for a few news channels, home improvement shows, and just random time waster shows like Forensic Files, etc. Anyway, I guess I should end by saying MythTV's strength has always been the OTA DVR backend, and it's what I'll continue to use it for as long as I can. I've really enjoyed using MythTV over many years, and look forward to using it well into the future!
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

Ok,.. Just to add my two pennies worth into the pot,... I am 60+yr old nerd,.. and have been playing with MythTV for probably nearly 10yrs. And yes I do love the flexibility the system gives me to record OTA transmissions,... I am not a great lover of the pay TV,... yes I'm an 'ol skin flint too...
My system is an intel core i5 with 16gigs of RAM,.. and tons of disk storage... and I've not really touched the hardware since I built the system other than to upgrade from a 2SAT input card to a 4 inputs SAT card, so I have two TBS cards SAT and freeview both with 4 inputs,.. so plenty of scope to record.
And this is what I love about MythTV,.. is its ability to record what I select as and when it chooses, then I can watch via a frontend system being able to skip forwards and backwards preset amounts without issue.
Also as a big plus the wife is happy to use the frontend to watch her recordings,.. although she will still ask to the setup a recording or two...

This is where my thoughts now go with the future of mythTV,.. In some ways I find the frontend interface a little dated,... but as the saying goes, if it ain't broken don't fix-it, but as I also appreciate development time for people working on this project is precious,.. And MythTV is only viable as long as there are people willing and able to give of their time to fix and develop features and tools etc.. and I wholeheartedly give my thanks to their great work over the years.

So,... with this in mind what are the options etc of further development on a web interface into the backend,... to setup recording etc,.. and leave the front end as just a player,.. add features to this as requested and viable to the community,.. and focus backend access via a web page,.. as many business now access their tools via a web page, and filter results accordingly, etc etc.
To sum this up,... slim the frontend down to just viewing, ( yes I can see some of the screen setup will need to stay).. plus maybe simple guide access,.. and extend the backend access tools to be web driven/accessed... ideally creating simpler more easily supportable code. ( but this is clearly an Idealistic view from my castle on the hill, is it practical and realistic? )

I await your thoughts of wisdom....
tarmacalastair
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by tarmacalastair »

Well I'm a fellow Brit in my late 50s and been loving Mythtv since 2007. Use it for Recorded DVB-T HD content so we don't have to suffer endless adverts and it's great. We do also use Kodi and now have a Firestick for some horrendously expensive streaming services but I'll never give up on OTA telly as it's free.

I love the Mythfrontend and have only just learnt from this thread that it can run on a Firestick so will be trying that soon. The Kodi interface is good but I prefer Mythfrontend as scrolling video back and forth in Kodi is much slower (at least on a Pi3 & 4 and Firestick).

Improvements - I would like to see support for streaming things in the frontend so I wouldn't need Kodi but for me the absolute most useful thing would be easier setup for Mythtv, eg:
  • Video card drivers in Linux (absolute nightmare getting Nvidia cards working in Linux) and resulting setup in Mythtv,
  • ACPI wakeup from sleep to record is not straightforward. Unlike many I care about the planet and my electricity bill...
  • Remote control setup using LIRC. I gave up and bought a FLIRC after my remote which had been quite tricky to set up but had worked from Ubuntu 8.04 to about 14.04 and then I just couldn't get working in 16.04
  • CEC which seems to just work in Kodi but I can't work out how in MythTV,
  • Channel tuning and video sources just don't seem very intuitive
Once all this is done Mythtv works great. But....I am stuck on Ubuntu 16.04 and Mythtv 30 because I just can't face the hours and hours of pondering and googling how to get my bits and pieces working again if I upgrade. None of my previous upgrades have gone smoothly so I'm scared.

Sorry I'm so late to this thread but as I haven't tried upgrading recently I haven't had to visit the forum for a while.

Huge thanks to everyone working on Mythtv!
wartstew
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by wartstew »

I've been using MythTV for over 15 years as well. Mostly on the same hardware! Currently on version .30 running on Debian Buster.

My use case is OTA TV recording / Time-shifting / Commercial skipping at two locations: Living room using an aging small footprint PC running both frontend and backend using an old HDHomerun dual tuner ATSC streamer. The second location is a small kitchen TV using an old Raspberry Pi-1 running Kodi and the myth plugin (so a frrontend only). Both locations use IR remotes (My wife has worn out several remotes over the years!). Also using SD for listings.

I agree with others that think it might be best if all the streaming services be left to other devices (none of which will last 15+ years, I have already thrown away a few), unless a developer really wants to tackle this! A launcher would be a nice simple addition for anything, typically web browser links, that can run on the frontend device. I'd just need to tweak LIRC so to NOT have always use the nice wireless keyboard I also have when leaving the frontend.

TV recording is where MythTV really shines, along with all the scheduling rules. I also actually like the "Mythcenter" theme on Mythfrontend for its simple clarity viewing at a distance.

I also like the old mythweb for all its functionality. I also used to use the flash-based streaming for a "Slingbox"-like functionality as I would watch my home's local news through the Internet when traveling. Unfortunately Flash is now gone and I never got this to work with Webfrontend (does it work?). Anyway I'd like to have something like this work again, complete with the on-the-fly down-converting I used to enjoy.

So possibly related (and to many others' complaints), I'd like to see more effort keeping documentation up to date. There is a lot of extra MythTV functionality I've never really tried to use due to lack of documentation. I know that nobody likes to do documentation but it IS important.

The idea of abandoning frontends and letting kodi or others handling this is an intriguing idea if MythTV development is slowing. I only wish the Webfrontend gets completed and maintained. Perhaps the old mythweb could then focus on just being a scheduling and maintenance interface. For those wishing a feature-rich frontend like Kodi, Plex, etc. perhaps such a wish from the current myth developers is unrealistic at this point and they should stay focused on keeping the backend project the best and most flexible piece of software of its type.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. Overall I really like MythTV (once I got it all working years ago), and would hate to see it fade away. Thanks to all that made it possible!
Davesworld
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Davesworld »

I think I can address some things where people are doing some of the same old stuff they really did not need to for some years now. The big one is Lirc, the kernel has had drivers for years built in and there is no need to even install lirc. One simply installs the program ir-keymaps and the generic mappings are in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/ and I customized the Media Center version as this is but one of the protocols supported by my IR receiver. The customized version if you modify it goes into /etc/rc_keymaps/ and this one will be read. I will past my example here:

[[protocols]]
name = "rc6_mce"
protocol = "rc6"
variant = "rc6_mce"
[protocols.scancodes]
0x800f0400 = "KEY_NUMERIC_0"
0x800f0401 = "KEY_NUMERIC_1"
0x800f0402 = "KEY_NUMERIC_2"
0x800f0403 = "KEY_NUMERIC_3"
0x800f0404 = "KEY_NUMERIC_4"
0x800f0405 = "KEY_NUMERIC_5"
0x800f0406 = "KEY_NUMERIC_6"
0x800f0407 = "KEY_NUMERIC_7"
0x800f0408 = "KEY_NUMERIC_8"
0x800f0409 = "KEY_NUMERIC_9"
0x800f040a = "KEY_DELETE"
0x800f040b = "KEY_F4" #ENTER
0x800f040c = "KEY_SLEEP"
0x800f040d = "KEY_F11" #MEDIA
0x800f040e = "KEY_H" #MUTE
0x800f040f = "KEY_I" #INFO
0x800f0410 = "KEY_F" #VOLUMEUP
0x800f0411 = "KEY_F1" #VOLUMEDOWN
0x800f0412 = "KEY_CHANNELUP"
0x800f0413 = "KEY_CHANNELDOWN"
0x800f0414 = "KEY_PAGEDOWN" #FASTFORWARD
0x800f0415 = "KEY_PAGEUP" #REWIND
0x800f0416 = "KEY_F12" #PLAY
0x800f0417 = "KEY_R" #RECORD
0x800f0418 = "KEY_P" #PAUSE
0x800f0419 = "KEY_0" #STOP
0x800f041a = "KEY_END" #NEXT
0x800f041b = "KEY_HOME" #PREVIOUS
0x800f041c = "KEY_NUMERIC_POUND"
0x800f041d = "KEY_NUMERIC_STAR"
0x800f041e = "KEY_UP"
0x800f041f = "KEY_DOWN"
0x800f0420 = "KEY_LEFT"
0x800f0421 = "KEY_RIGHT"
0x800f0422 = "KEY_ENTER" #OK
0x800f0423 = "KEY_ESC" #EXIT
0x800f0424 = "KEY_M" #DVD
0x800f0425 = "KEY_F2" #TUNER
0x800f0426 = "KEY_S" #EPG
0x800f0427 = "KEY_ZOOM"
0x800f0432 = "KEY_MODE"
0x800f0433 = "KEY_PRESENTATION"
0x800f0434 = "KEY_DOT" #EJECTCD
0x800f043a = "KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP"
0x800f0446 = "KEY_TV"
0x800f0447 = "KEY_AUDIO"
0x800f0448 = "KEY_F3" #PVR
0x800f0449 = "KEY_CAMERA"
0x800f044a = "KEY_Q" #VIDEO
0x800f044c = "KEY_LANGUAGE"
0x800f044d = "KEY_TITLE"
0x800f044e = "KEY_PRINT"
0x800f0450 = "KEY_RADIO"
0x800f045a = "KEY_SUBTITLE"
0x800f045b = "KEY_D" #RED
0x800f045c = "KEY_W" #GREEN
0x800f045d = "KEY_Z" #YELLOW
0x800f045e = "KEY_F10" #BLUE
#0x800f0465 = "KEY_F9" #POWER2
0x800f0469 = "KEY_MESSENGER"
0x800f046e = "KEY_PLAYPAUSE"
0x800f046f = "KEY_PLAYER"
0x800f0480 = "KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN"
0x800f0481 = "KEY_PLAYPAUSE"

I have used this for years now. I also use my MythFrontend on an LG 65" Oled being fed through an Anthem AVM60 and the Video card is an AMD Radeon RX6700XT which only needs a non-free firmware blob along with the drivers already in Linux as well as at least a 5.12 kernel to work. The proprietary AMD drivers I don't even think work. AMD contributed to the stock X drivers and their proprietary part is in the non-free firmware. Actually the surround processor and TV itself, Both being HDMI 2a or b hold this card back, this card is hdmi 2.1 and will do UHD at 120 and 8k at 60.

Sure, I could trade up to a newer surround processor and get HDMI 2.1 but as long as one has eARC hdmi, the processer can be used only for audio and the TV can handle the latest HDMI except one big problem, I don't know of any that support Dolby AC-4 as of yet. This will only be needed for ATSC 3.0 and I do believe one of the UK's satellite services is going to switch to it as well so I expect to see it used on various services.

This unit is a front and backend with a 20x4 OLED white on black character display on the front panel using LCDd. It is currently using Debian Bullseye and the MythTV packages come from deb-multimedia. When I separate the frontend and backend in the future, I find that the backend running on Bullkseye is rock solid. I did try Ubuntu with the MythBuntu packages which was unstable on the backend but wonderful on the frontend if you like it to relaunch itself if it crashes. My Debian front and backend machine is set up to autologin to user MythTV and start the MythFrontend automatically. I uses a Logitech Harmony, the one with the hub (it's not necessary and the hubless version works fine) and on it's LCD screen, I can tap to go to Movies, Main, Recorded Shows, the streaming part of MythMusic and Mythmusic itself and I even put a one touch for weather. It behaves like the appliance it should be. I also can exit and halt or reboot from the remote, no need to ever see the desktop.

I have toyed with Kodi and they have some neat features but I am most comfortable with the MythFrontend. I have some UHD movies which play flawlessly for a year now. The only minor thing here is the the themes do no not display UHD, 4k or anything like they do with HD and SD because they do not know what it is but it does not affect the ability to play.

I am not at a point where I can imagine not using MythTV if ever. In the future I will probably use Arm processors as Apple switched to, they are not happy with intel. It will probably not require expensive hardware to play 120hz UHD material when I do switch over. I may run Arm on dedicated frontends I plan to build for the bedroom and the den.

The next hurdle really is waiting on FFmpeg to be able to handle Dolby AC-4 which ATSC 3.0 broadcasts will be using. North America and South Korea use ATSC. DVB-T is about as much as I know about other regions.