Installing 0.30 on a Pi4

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Installing 0.30 on a Pi4

Post by cliveb »

I've been fighting 0.31 on the Pi4. It's all working, but frontend playback has some glitches.
Various things I've read make me wonder if 0.30 might actually work a bit better for playback.

So I decided to try building a 0.30 system. I started with buster lite, got hold of the 0.30 mythtv-light .deb file and installed that manually. I then ran MikeB's backend-helper script to set up the database & other stuff, which I believe ought to be OK for 0.30, but can't be sure.

But when I come to run mythtv-setup, I get the error "could not connect to any X display".
I've installed xserver-xorg & xinit but that doesn't seem to help.

Can anyone give any tips on installing 0.30 on a Pi4?
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Installing 0.30 on a Pi4

Post by cliveb »

An update: I tried starting again from scratch, and this time ran MikeB's "pi-setup_mythtv_31.sh" script after installing mythtv-light 0.30, which as I understand things sets the system up with various tweaks and to auto-run the frontend. I didn't see anything in it which looks 0.31 specific.

Now when an attempt is made to run the frontend via this command:

Code: Select all

QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs QT_QPA_EGLFS_KMS_CONFIG=/home/pi/pi_mythfrontend.json mythfrontend
I get this error message:

Code: Select all

* failed to add service - already in use?
Any suggestions?
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

v30 of mythfrontend for raspberry pi runs under x11, so you need to startx first and run mythfrontend from the menu or from a command prompt. Also it does not take the QT_QPA environment variables, they will likely cause problems.
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Post by cliveb »

pgbennett wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:20 pm
v30 of mythfrontend for raspberry pi runs under x11, so you need to startx first and run mythfrontend from the menu or from a command prompt. Also it does not take the QT_QPA environment variables, they will likely cause problems.
Ah right, thanks for the advice.