Are storage directories used or the old Video Settings - Directory For Fanart...?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mtvf2894
Junior
Great Britain

Are storage directories used or the old Video Settings - Directory For Fanart...?

Post by mtvf2894 »

Can anyone help with how the Backend Storage Directory setup for Fanart, Banners et al corresponds to what looks like the same options in the Frontend Video Settings?

Should the settings in Frontend Video Settings be set to the same paths as the corresponding storage directories?

The Frontend Video Settings seem to be frontend specific also so how does that work?

Are those settings paths for a local to the machine cache and nothing to do with the storage directories?

Thanks
Current: v32 now v33.1 / Lubuntu 22.04 / AMD APU
Previous: v31 / Lubuntu 20.10 / AMD APU
Historic: Mythbuntu / NVIDIA GFX
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Are storage directories used or the old Video Settings - Directory For Fanart...?

Post by bill6502 »

All of my Storage Directories are on the backend, including those in the Video Storage Group.

I'm not sure what "Frontend Video Settings" are of interest. Things that affect
playback, for example are frequently unique to each frontend
mtvf2894
Junior
Great Britain

Re: Are storage directories used or the old Video Settings - Directory For Fanart...?

Post by mtvf2894 »

Any chance of looking at what is in the following directories on your setup to try to find out what these directories are used for?

Should these settings even be in the application with the move to storage directories?

Possibly theme dependant but to view the settings Frontend - Setup - Media Settings - Video Settings - General Settings

Code: Select all

settings table
mythvideo.TrailersDir    /home/username/.mythtv/Video/Trailers     hostname
VideoArtworkDir          /home/username/.mythtv/Video/Artwork      hostname
mythvideo.screenshotDir  /home/username/.mythtv/Video/Screenshots  hostname
mythvideo.bannerDir      /home/username/.mythtv/Video/Banners      hostname
mythvideo.fanartDir      /home/username/.mythtv/Video/Fanart       hostname
Any pointers on whether I should be changing these to point to the storage directory equivalents or whether I should be setting them to valid local directories?

Thanks
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

I have those same settings in mine, but if I look at the actual directories, they aren't their. Not even /.mythtv/Video. How they got in the settings I have no idea.
wes@mythfe0:~$ ls ~/.mythtv
3rdParty cache channels config.xml HardwareProfile sd.xmltv themes tmp
wes@mythfe0:~$
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

I think they are the old legacy MythVideo settings that you could set on each frontend. The recommendation is to not use those and instead setup the various storage groups on the master BE. All FE's local or remote can then access their content without having to mess with shared folders using NFS or CIFS. In any case you should choose one method and not mix new and legacy otherwise you can get strange things happening.
mtvf2894
Junior
Great Britain

Post by mtvf2894 »

Thanks. The directories do not exist on my setup either (not even .mythtv/Video) I was mainly wondering if I should be creating them or make them point to valid directories and how they interact with the storage directory setup. As I use storage directories I will just ignore these settings.