time for a new backend / daily driver

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mtvf2894
Junior
Great Britain

Re: time for a new backend / daily driver

Post by mtvf2894 »

Very similar to my recent new build after probably just about as many years.

It works great and generally very happy the only slight (and very slight) disappointment is the AMD deinterlacers are perhaps not a good as the very old NVIDIA card I used to use. See AMD VAAPI deinterlacers, low/medium working, High does not? (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4398).

The deinterlacing quality is further (or completely) exacerbated by not being able to specify extra VDPAU denoise/sharpen filters as you use VAAPI for AMD but I think MythTV v31 does not allow you to specify these extras now anyway so I would have had the same problem if I updated to the new MythTV on the old hardware anyway. The picture is very noisy around text and soft without these extra filters in my opinion.
Current: v32 now v33.1 / Lubuntu 22.04 / AMD APU
Previous: v31 / Lubuntu 20.10 / AMD APU
Historic: Mythbuntu / NVIDIA GFX
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

I believe you can use VDPAU with AMD. It one point it was better than VAAPI for AMD.
But the extra VDPAU filters have been removed from later MythTV decode-playback..

I haven't upgraded from Dec 2019 because HQ scaler etc is non-functional & can't work out how to patch them back in (hard coded if necessary).
Last edited by blm-ubunet on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtvf2894
Junior
Great Britain

Post by mtvf2894 »

blm-ubunet wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 am
I believe you can use VDPAU with AMD. It one point it was better than VAAPI for AMD.
But the extra VDPAU filters have been removed from layer MythTV decode-playback..

I haven't upgraded from Dec 2019 because HQ scaler etc is non-functional & can't work out how to patch them back in (hard coded if necessary).
VDPAU with AMD does not work for me - only audio is output no video is displayed.

According to https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Not ... d_playback this is to the somewhat expected behaviour
Note: VDPAU decoding with AMD GPUs has had limited testing and there are reports that it is not working (but VAAPI does).
If you choose VDPAU (Decode Only) video works but with CPU deinterlacing only.

If anyone else is getting different results and you can get VDPAU working with AMD hardware more details would certainly be appreciated.
Current: v32 now v33.1 / Lubuntu 22.04 / AMD APU
Previous: v31 / Lubuntu 20.10 / AMD APU
Historic: Mythbuntu / NVIDIA GFX