HD Playback problem with YLE-channels only

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: HD Playback problem with YLE-channels only

Post by kmdewaal »

Hi Paul, spot on! Playback is OK with the "Use FFmpeg's original MPEG-TS muxer" checked!!!

Note that this option is only available when configuring for debug, i.e.

Code: Select all

./configure --compile-type=debug
What about making this option unconditional so that it is available for everybody?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Great at least we know where the problem is now :) Didn't know that option was only visible in debug builds. I'd drop an email to the developers list maybe someone knows why :idea: :?:
nikkolade
Newcomer
Finland

Post by nikkolade »

paulh wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm
If it is our TS demuxer one possible workaround is to enable 'Use FFmpeg's original MPEG-TS muxer' (Setup->Video->Playback->General Playback)

Although the setting help text does say 'Things will be broken' so :roll: Still be interesting to see if it does improve anything though.
I thought that I had pretty much checked all possible options, while trying to find out what this playback issue is related to.
Apparently I didn't. With opengl high quality (this seems to work the best with my HW) and 'Use FFmpeg's original MPEG-TS muxer' enabled, I got the video to play with the correct screen size (tried twice just to see that this wasn't random occurrence).

Of course, with the description as it is currently, I'm not too comfortable in leaving this option enabled, but at least it seems to make a difference.

Edit: Started to write reply earlier but got disturbed due to other matters. Good that we now have confirmation where the problem is located.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

I have made the option "Use FFmpeg's original MPEG-TS muxer" unconditionally available in master and in v30. I have also changed the "Things will be broken" message into something more positive because so far I have not found anything broken.
See Github ticket #351.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Don't forget the Wiki.
nikkolade
Newcomer
Finland

Post by nikkolade »

Thank you, all of you, for your analysis and finding a workaround for this issue!
dagnygren
Junior
Finland

Post by dagnygren »

Another big thanks from me!. This problem has bothered me for years... :D :D
But checking that box made Live TV behave a bit strange... Long intervals with black screen and picture just frozen. And I can even still see the 1/4 display of some of the YLE broadcasts when watching live. The recordings I have tried display fine though.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

I have added a fix to the MythTV demuxer so you might now have better results when the "Use FFmpeg's original demuxer" is unchecked. This fix is done only in master so you need to upgrade to the latest master for this.
dagnygren
Junior
Finland

Post by dagnygren »

Any chance of getting that fix into 0.31-fixes ? Not sure I would like to go for master just now and in my experience it is almost a oneway upgrade with no easy way back...
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The fix is backported to fixes/31 on Monday 17th in commit 200e3f47576d29af307ba26aed8710f02e0df227 so within a few days, or maybe even now already, it will be in the packages.
dagnygren
Junior
Finland

Post by dagnygren »

Great! Thanks a lot!