Very Intimidating

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on windows
Rob Lister
Newcomer
United States of America

Very Intimidating

Post by Rob Lister »

So I'm in the process of cutting my cable tv cord. I'm exploring lots of options. Plex was a fabulous addition, for example; I had it up and running in less than a couple of hours and all the preferences set and running smooth as silk in less than a day.

I happened then upon MythTV and became pretty excited; it provided a lot of missing pieces to my new cable-less initiative.

I finally committed the other day to getting it up and running I tried to read through the wiki guide for installing on a Windows machine and intimidating is the only nice word I have to describe how I felt trying to wade through it.

It would take me months just to learn the lingo necessary to understand the requirements.

I'm guessing this program is not quite ready for Windows prime time.

I'm hoping someone here will actually talk me into it. Walk me through it. Hold my hand. Take me to their bosom and pat my little head.

My plan was to use my upstairs, always on, HP desktop as the backend server doubling as the front-end client for the not-oft-used bedroom TV, and a separate front-end client for the downstairs TV. I don't know what I'll use for my front end but I can build to suit (I just need to know what size suit I need!).

The server is running Win7(64), AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.0GHz quad core), 8GB ram (1600MHz?), 1TB HD, piece-o-crap on-board graphics (not a gamer).

I have a Seagate 4TB NAS, configured as 2TB Raid1 but I'm okay with reconfiguring as 3 TB JBOD keeping only 1TB as separate backup. 500GB is already in use by movies and whatnot.

50Mbs Internet (on average, usually 60 sometimes 30)

1Gb Ethernet to all rooms with TVs, and almost complete coverage with 802.11AC averaging 50Mbs in worst room, 70 or 80 in most.

40" Vizio TV upstairs bedroom (probably won't bother as the teen occupant is almost never there but would be nice)
39" Samsung SmartTV upstairs (will probably bother)
50" Samsung SmartTV downstairs (only absolute must)

My goal is to port and record broadcast HDTV to all the TV's and I figure my storage requirements won't exceed 100 hours worth. 50 hours is probably plenty.

If I need to build/buy hardware, my wife gave me a $300 budget, so I want to keep it under $600.
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Very Intimidating

Post by stuarta »

Hi Rob,
You are right, getting MythTV running on Windows is a challenge. It's primarily designed for linux platforms, and the Windows builds can best be described as "experimental". The main part of MythTV which does the recording is "the backend" and i don't believe runs on Windows at this time.

For an easier time i'd suggest finding a PC so you put linux on and getting one of the prebuilt distros that include MythTV

Regards
Stuart
sezzzwho
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Very Intimidating

Post by sezzzwho »

I feel your pain, Brother Rob. I have been on this journey myself for some time now, i.e. installing Myth on a Zotac Mini PC with Win 7 64-bit OS. Have you had any luck at all?

Robert