Record on any channel *except* this one

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
Axe.Gs1
Newcomer
Canada

Record on any channel *except* this one

Post by Axe.Gs1 »

I have been using mythtv for a lot of years. One of the things I would love to see implemented would be an 'except' feature in channels.

When choosing where to record from, there are channels that play duplicate episodes or the TV lineup (from schedulesdirect) doesn't have all the details for a first run show (ie not a rerun but current episode). I would love the ability to say
"record from any station, anytime, except for this channel" and be allowed one or maybe two exceptions.

I could put a filter on that says' don't record episodes without details' but not all shows properly show their details in the lineup. Or I want to record all instances of "this show" except for the overdubbed foreign language version of a show on Channel 25, by the same name as the one I want.

Currently I have to put in four "positive" recording instances of the show I want on all the specific individual channels where the show appears and I want to record from, to avoid the instance of the one I don't want.

Hopefully this explains things clearly. Thanx for all your work Devs. You have brought a lot of binge watching to my household without having to buy the boxsets :)
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Re: Record on any channel *except* this one

Post by Gribnif »

Could you just hide the channel (go into mythtv-setup and uncheck the Visible box)? This would prevent anything from being scheduled on that channel. It would also remove the channel from the scheduler grid and searches, so this may not be what you want.
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Record on any channel *except* this one

Post by dizygotheca »

You can do this already using custom record rules:

1. Select Recording Options/Custom Edit from the pop-up menu for your programme on the guide.
2. On the Custom Record Rule screen, find & select the 'Exclude one channel' template as many times as you want.
3. Edit the channel callsign(s) to suit.
4. Hit Record to go on to complete the usual rule setup.

Editing the callsign is a nuisance with a remote. You could also create & store your own templates, eg. "Exclude channel 25" to make it easier for frequent use.