Moving old recordings to new box.

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
lowlandmyth
Newcomer
Netherlands

Moving old recordings to new box.

Post by lowlandmyth »

Hi,

I have been a user of Knoppmyth for many years, from about 2006 on.
I kept using that install, after the Knoppmyth platform died and support was no more available (apart from some static info in the Linhes forum).
Now I have some disks filled with recordings (and the Knoppmyth OS) but the OS is having problems with running.
I can mount the disc(s) on another Linux box and see the files though.
I wonder how to solve this problem: I could setup a new Linux box with an actual (linux) OS and Mythtv.
Is there a way to import the recordings (files) of the old box to such a new one?
My wish is to play them on that new box and to be able to make iso-files of these recordings to burn them to dvd.
Being able to record new progams is less important, as an additional problem is: the old box had a SAT-PVRcard in it, in a (first generation) PCI slot and I recorded broadcastings from a satellite-dish. New and available mainboards don't have such an old pci-interface any more, so that seems to be a blind alley'
(I noticed there exist new industry standard mainboards with these old slots, but prices seem to be for captains of industry only).

Anybody with advice on this?
Thank you,
lowlandmyth
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: Moving old recordings to new box.

Post by wesnewell »

Just copy all the recordings to the video dir, or mount the old drive and make it part of the video dir . You can play them from there. Edit the name, whatever.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Moving old recordings to new box.

Post by bill6502 »

@ lowlandmyth, if you have backups of the mythconverg DB and if you can
mount the partition they live on, you can restore the DB on the new host and
keep the recording metadata.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore