MythTV wants to upgrade mythmusic but fails

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

MythTV wants to upgrade mythmusic but fails

Post by wesnewell »

xubuntu 20.04lts new install. Mythtv V31
Trying to get mythmusic working, but the mythmusic upgrade doesn't work.
DB did have errors on all the music.whatever tables and msqlrepair couldn't fix them.
Installed phpmyadmin and fixed all the broken tables. All check OK now.
Re installed mythmusic but the db upgrade still doesn't work.
from the frontend log;

Jun 4 08:06:22 mythfe0 mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1760]: E CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:55 (performActualUpdate) DB Error (Performing database upgrade): #012Query was: ALTER TABLE music_albumart DEFAULT CHARACTER SET default, MODIFY filename varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL default ''; #012Error was: Driver error was [2/1064]:#012QMYSQL: Unable to execute query#012Database error was:#012You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'default, MODIFY filename varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL default ''' at line 1#012 #012new version: 1016

I have no idea what to do now to try and get this working.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Re: MythTV wants to upgrade mythmusic but fails

Post by MikeB2013 »

I think your problem is as described in trac ticket https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13577
and mythtv forum post viewtopic.php?p=17769#p17769

It seems to be another mysql 8 issue, the forum post does have a potential fix in terms of a patch (I have not tried the patch), but requires mythtv to be built from source.
The effect of the patch on other versions of mysql or mariadb is unknown.

Mike
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Thanks for reply. I'll just remove mythmusic until they get this fixed.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Looking at the trac ticket, this was reported back in Feb. before V31 was even released. It's now been ~6 months and it doesn't look like it's getting worked on as it was classified as minor. This needs to be escalated imo.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

I saw your comment on the ticket. Please don't make non-solution/non-detail additions
there. They reduce the value of Trac searches. Your concern is understandable.

It's not really a v31 issue, rather a MythTV incompatibility with MySQL v8.

It is being worked. The initial patch is fine, however it doesn't care for the case where
users are up-to-date, <plugin>DBSchemaVer wise. They need the solution too. That
means a DB update on existing systems. Typically not done. But seems to be the only
choice here. That said, it was discovered the the Python bindings have the MusicDBSchemaVer
in MUSICSCHEMA_VERSION. Not a problem, but less than obvious.

Next, changing the CHARACTER SET isn't to be done without some research as (in
this case) it could change the number of bytes used per character. MySQL currently
has utf8 as an alias to utf8mb3. That appears OK now too. Side note, that was seen
while testing on a MySQL v8.0 host: MySQL plans to change the alias to utf8mb4. No
date or version was mentioned.

It's not just mythmusic, but mytharchive, mythgame and mythweather.

If you want to peek at your existing DB, give this a try (to identify all columns that
<aren't> currently in utf8):

Code: Select all

SELECT TABLE_NAME,COLUMN_NAME,CHARACTER_SET_NAME
    FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.`COLUMNS`
        WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA='mythconverg' AND CHARACTER_SET_NAME != 'utf8';
On my ancient production host, there were 18 latin1. But on DBs on newly built hosts,
there were no columns that weren't already utf8.

I can make the current version of the patch available to you if you build from source and are
interested in testing.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

I'm glad someone is working on it. looking at the gtihub plugins source the last commit I saw was like 7 months ago., so it appeared to be idle. I haven't compiled anything from source since first using mythtv 15 or so years ago. I saw the patches from dbcheck.diff, but no updates on github dbcheck.cpp and I guess wrongly assumed it wasn't being worked.
summetj
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by summetj »

I am also running into this issue (Ubuntu 20.04, new install).

I'm not willing to compile from source, I'd just like the mythmusic package to work out of the box.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Please (re)read the "What's Next?" section here: https://code.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo
summetj
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by summetj »

bill6502 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:46 am
Please (re)read the "What's Next?" section here:
We all appreciate developers. If you PM me your paypal address I'll donate some beer money.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

With the latest mythtv upgrade from the repos, loaded mythmusic and everything worked fine. Thanks much to all involved.