DVB-C on FreeBSD ?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on FreeBSD
Unkle
Newcomer
Denmark

DVB-C on FreeBSD ?

Post by Unkle »

Hi all,

For the past 6-8 months I've been wanting to make a backend on FreeBSD but I have trouble finding a DVB-C tuner that may work with FreeBSD. It should be PCI (the old PCI, not PCI-E) or USB. Im searching for a cheap solution that will connect directly to the machine so no HD-Homerun (which is rather expensive, at least in my country).

Do you guys know a model that'll fit those needs ?

(I tried googling lots of times and FreeBSD apparently has something called "webcamd" that may support various DVB hardware but its wiki seems to be outdated)

My apologies if this is should be in the "hardware" section instead I just figured that more "dedicated FreeBSD people" would see this thread when placed in the FreeBSD subsection.

Best regards!
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Re: DVB-C on FreeBSD ?

Post by rwagner »

FreeBSD is quite lacking in tuner card drivers. If the HDHR is out of the question, that basically just leaves USB tuners with Linux drivers interpreted through webcamd.
Unkle
Newcomer
Denmark

Re: DVB-C on FreeBSD ?

Post by Unkle »

Thank you for the reply :)

I guess I'll have to take the chance, buy a USB DVB-C and cross my fingers. Going for the "most popular" USB stick on the linux platform may be the "safest" option. I'm thinking something like TerraTec or Pinnacle, whichever I can get my hands on.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for a particular model to try out.

This is the list I'm looking at: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/D ... SB_Devices

Thanks again.
Will report back when/if I get it working.