building mythtv light v31 for RP3B+

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Re: building mythtv light v31 for RP3B+

Post by MikeB2013 »

One thing I just noticed in latest log is v4l2-dec, try using V4L2 Acceleration instead of V4L2 acceleration (decode only), again with 4 CPUs
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

MikeB2013 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:14 pm
One thing I just noticed in latest log is v4l2-dec, try using V4L2 Acceleration instead of V4L2 acceleration (decode only), again with 4 CPUs
This test didn't change anything.

I'm not sure if the RPi3B+ will ever be a good frontend. Even on v30 it was not what I call acceptable for daily use.

If I need a small reasonably inexpensive FE/BE combo, I think V30 on an RP4 4G is good.

I find that using the RP4 as a v31 backend with Commercial flagging enabled works well, I don't find the FE as good as V30 FE.

If you want to be on V31, I'd use the RP4 as a backend only and use a FireTV 4K as a frontend. Mythfrontend is good on the FireTV 4K, but Leanfront is much better. So I use mythfrontend for all the management parts and Leanfront for just viewing at the best quality.

As for cost, the FireTV 4K is about $25 over here on sale, and the RP4 kit is around $90 + SATA SSD and USB3-SATA adapter.
Any of the RPI's are more expensive than the FireTV 4K. And even using LibreELEC on the RP3B+, while good is more expensive than the FireTV 4K.

So if I didn't have a working PC running the backend, I might replace it with a RPi4, but still keep my FireTV and Shield TV as FEs
Jim A
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

What kind of remote are you using with the FireTV? Is it more of a pain to use the FireTV remote? Isn't it possible to use a full remote with numbers with a RPi to more quickly change the channel for those that use MythTV to watch live TV?
Ted | My blog
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

heyted wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:45 am
What kind of remote are you using with the FireTV? Is it more of a pain to use the FireTV remote? Isn't it possible to use a full remote with numbers with a RPi to more quickly change the channel for those that use MythTV to watch live TV?
With the FireTV 4K, it's hooked to a TV with no A/V receiver so you can control the sound and apps. I find it works well for Mythtv frontend and Leanfront. You can do most things with just the arrows, select, and back button. My wife uses that and is happy.

However, with the Shield TV it's basically the same remote and I have a A/V receiver so that remote is only good for the apps in basic view mode. I use a Smart Control hub from Harmony for the audio and a lot of special function on Mythfrontend.

But for editing where a keyboard is best I use an old Mac BT keyboard. It works good for mythtv and the other Google Play store apps. I think you can pair a BT keyboard to the FireTV as well.

Jim A
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

I built the mythtv-light_31.0-25-gdaa1d5d8e2-0_armhf_buster.deb that was updated on source yesterday and I see a small improvement on RP3B+. If I just watch the video and don't skip, pause or cause the OSD to pop up, it's watchable. However I still see Deinterlacer None on all videos on the RP3.

The same version .deb run on the RP4 seems to be much more stable when I check the playback data for FPS jitter.
skipping around with the arrow key is very disruptive on the RP3, but no problem on the RP4.

All my content is OTA HD ATSC MPEG2 from HDHR and is either 1080i or 720p

Jim A