[Solved] some remote button presses missing

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
ceesquared
Junior
Great Britain

[Solved] some remote button presses missing

Post by ceesquared »

I have the latest MythTV(updated 15 Mar. 20) on Ubuntu. Some button presses of the remote are not reaching MythTV. ir-keytable -t works and shows all the button presses with a code of less than FF. As an example, a button press of 'exit' shows an ir-keytable -t response of KEY_ESC but the same button press in MythTV shows no response. The keyboard 'esc' works fine. Buttons that work include numbers, navigation, and return. Buttons that do not work include esc and Function keys. Any ideas please of why this should be, and more importantly, what is the solution?
Last edited by ceesquared on Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: some remote button presses missing

Post by wesnewell »

Check your mythtv key bindings in setup or mythweb to make sure you have esc set to what you want. And make sure you are looking at the proper host in mythweb.
http://localhost/mythweb/settings/mythtv/keys
Another test would be to start any app that you can exit with the esc key of the kb and then try to exit it with the remote. If it works there then the problem is with your mythtv key bindings. If not, then it's likely in /etc/rc_keymaps/<config file> or /etc/rc_maps.cfg file.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
ceesquared
Junior
Great Britain

Post by ceesquared »

Thanks wesnewell but in Edit keys there is no response to the button, so I cannot set it.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

ceesquared wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:12 pm
Thanks wesnewell but in Edit keys there is no response to the button, so I cannot set it.
Use your keyboard to get to what you want, then when it ask for a keypress use the remote. If it doesn't see it, then you have something wrong with the remote/config.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
ceesquared
Junior
Great Britain

Post by ceesquared »

Both EVTEST and IR-KEYTABLE -t( perhaps the same?) show the correct response. Therefore the remote and receiver are working correctly. As it is non LIRC there is no config to check, or is there? If there is a config to check, what is it and what should it show? Out of interest, I tried it with LIRC and effectively got the same result.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

In /etc/rc_maps.cfg you have to point to your /etc/rc_keymaps/<your keymap file>. Your keymap file must include the protocol used by your remote, and your ir receiver must support that protocol. If you use more than 1 protocol, it has to be listed in the first line of you keymap file.
These are all the protocols my ir receiver supports
wes@mythfe0:~$ cat /etc/rc_keymaps/myremotes|grep table
# table *, type:rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp

And this is the entry I added to the cfg file.
wes@mythfe0:~$ cat /etc/rc_maps.cfg|grep myremotes
# mceusb rc-rc6-mce /etc/rc_keymaps/myremotes
mceusb * /etc/rc_keymaps/myremotes

My remote is a jp1 remote and I uploaded my own custom config into the remote to use all 53 buttons of the remote using the nec protocol. If you are going to be using a remote that uses a protocol your ir receiver doesn't support then you are stuck using lirc which can receive the raw codes.

ir-keytable command will list both supported and enabled protocols.
ceesquared
Junior
Great Britain

Post by ceesquared »

I used a different route ( entry in rc.local) but the same result. The ir-keytable -t response is as my settings and so that is being interpreted correctly. So we have:
1. The remote is OK and working.
2. my_mce table is loaded and recognised by ir-keytable with correct rc-6.
3. Some keys get through OK but not all.
I am using a non jp1 adjusted URC one-for-all 3 button job with sat set to MCE(1272 I think). The buttons that are recognised are the numbers and the 5 navigation keys(left and OK etc.). Is this significant? The unrecognised buttons are normal keyboard keys (F12, p,m,i etc).
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

With everything setup properly, your remote should work just like a keyboard for the keys you set up. easy way to test is open a terminal, press the remote buttons and see if you get that on the screen. If you do, then the remote is working fine. If not then you have something configured wrong. If they work in a terminal, they should also work in mythtv edit keys.
If you didn't set up a keymap file and are only using the default files, then what your remote puts out will be whatever is in the default file. I have no idea what you are doing in rc.local. I don't even have a /etc/rc.local file. Sounds to me like you didn't setup a keymap file and point /etc/rc_maps.cfg to it.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

As ref. only, here's my keymap file
# table *, type:rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp
# CODE KEY BUTTON RCRP05B
0x0f KEY_F12 :POWER
0x2b KEY_L :LIVE
0x29 KEY_T :LIST
0x26 KEY_B :JUMP START
0x21 KEY_COMMA :SKIP BACK
0x22 KEY_DOT :SKIP FWD
0x11 KEY_X :SKIP FWD-RIGHT ARROW|BAR
0x24 KEY_R :RECORD
0x23 KEY_Z :STOP RECORDING
0x20 KEY_P :PAUSE
0x1f KEY_P :PLAY
0x13 KEY_M :MENU
0x14 KEY_G :GUIDE
0x2a KEY_I :INFO
0x25 KEY_ESC :EXIT
0x19 KEY_ENTER :OK
0x15 KEY_UP ;UP ARROW
0x16 KEY_DOWN :DOWN ARROW
0x17 KEY_LEFT :LEFT ARROW
0x18 KEY_RIGHT :RIGHT ARROW
0x0a KEY_F11 :VOL+
0x0b KEY_F10 :VOL-
0x0d KEY_PAGEUP :CH+
0x0e KEY_PAGEDOWN :CH-
0x12 KEY_O :LAST
0x01 KEY_1 :1
0x02 KEY_2 :2
0x03 KEY_3 :3
0x04 KEY_4 :4
0x05 KEY_5 :5
0x06 KEY_6 :6
0x07 KEY_7 :7
0x08 KEY_8 :8
0x09 KEY_9 :9
0x00 KEY_0 :0
0x28 KEY_SEMICOLON :DASH
0x1c KEY_W :ASPECT
0x1a KEY_V :PG+
0x2d KEY_HOME :DAY-
0x2c KEY_END :DAY+
0x10 KEY_S :PG-
0x35 KEY_C :ON DEMAND
0x0c KEY_Y :MUTE
0x2e KEY_SLASH :FAV
0x1b KEY_Q :PIP
0x1d KEY_N :SWAP
0x1e KEY_E :MOVE
0x33 KEY_K :PIPCH+
0x34 KEY_J :PIPCH-
0x27 KEY_H :INPUT
0x2f KEY_F :A YELLOW
0x30 KEY_U :B BLUE
0x31 KEY_A :C RED
0x32 KEY_D :D GREEN
ceesquared
Junior
Great Britain

Post by ceesquared »

Solved! More by luck than judgement. The answer is not to plug your USB IR Rx into a USB3.0 port. On changing it to a USB2.0 port, it worked fine.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: [Solved] some remote button presses missing

Post by wesnewell »

I should note that all my responses and file examples here were from version that came with xubuntu 18.04lts and possibly earlier. There was a change in 20.04, and these solutions don't work for it. There is another thread that covers that.