MythTV 31.0 and 4k playback tests with several hardware

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

laasa
Junior
Germany

MythTV 31.0 and 4k playback tests with several hardware

Post by laasa »

I have checked the possibilities to playback 4K material with MythTV 31.0.
So I am very happy to see that MythTV 31.0 comeback with Nvidia support for HEVC (VDPAU and NVDEC).

My test material (e.g. HEVC Main@L5.1, 3840x2160@59.940fps, YUV, 10 Bit, HDR) works well with GTX1050Ti (GP107).
The information display say "HEVC nvdec" and "2 x NVDEC Adaptive". That's really great!!!!

I have wondered a bit that a GTX950 (GM206) doesn't work.
The information display say "HEVC ffmpeg" and my CPU is to slow to do that job.
When checking the decoder page in system view, HEVC 10 4096x4096 is supported.
I have exchanged the NVidia cards of both systems. The issue comes from the graphic card. No differences in logs.
Possibly a bug of the graphic card type. Not so important but possibly interesting!

But more interesting is the situation on the NUC (NUC6CAYH with Intel Celeron J3455 and Intel HD Graphics 500).
The decoder page tells me that HEVC 8192x8192 and HEVC 10 8192x8192 is supported.
But the material is played with HEVC ffmpeg and my little NUC doesn't made for this ...
Interesting are the logs: It starts via VAAPI but fall back to ffmpeg.
- I CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:3096 (ProcessCallbacks) Player(0): Executing VAAPI context creation
- I CoreContext opengl/mythopenglinterop.cpp:158 (GetInteropType) OpenGLInterop: Rendering supported for frame type 'VAAPI' with VAAPI DRM
- I CoreContext opengl/mythvaapiinterop.cpp:116 (InitaliseDisplay) VAAPIInterop: Created VAAPI 1.6 display for VAAPI DRM (Intel iHD driver - 19.4.0)
- E Decoder decoders/avformatdecoder.cpp:3483 (ProcessVideoPacket) AFD: video avcodec_send_packet error: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler (-5) gotpicture:0
- I Decoder mythplayer.cpp:3081 (HandleDecoderCallback) Player(0): Queuing callback for Destroy OpenGL interop
- I CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:3096 (ProcessCallbacks) Player(0): Executing Destroy OpenGL interop
- I Decoder decoders/avformatdecoder.cpp:2448 (ScanStreams) AFD: Using ffmpeg for video decoding
- I Decoder decoders/avformatdecoder.cpp:2535 (OpenAVCodec) AFD: Opened codec 0x7f7b994eff80, id(H265) type(Video)
On same OS (XUBUNTU 20.04) the mpv can play this material without issues. Also on windows no issues with different players.

Any ideas? Do I have an configuration issue?

Looks like that Nvidia is my favourit hardware again.
Thanks in advanced.
laasa
mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Re: MythTV 31.0 and 4k playback tests with several hardware

Post by mark_k »

laasa wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:03 pm
I have checked the possibilities to playback 4K material with MythTV 31.0.
So I am very happy to see that MythTV 31.0 comeback with Nvidia support for HEVC (VDPAU and NVDEC).

My test material (e.g. HEVC Main@L5.1, 3840x2160@59.940fps, YUV, 10 Bit, HDR) works well with GTX1050Ti (GP107).
The information display say "HEVC nvdec" and "2 x NVDEC Adaptive". That's really great!!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

Just to be clear - NVDEC (in MythTV) currently requests deinterlacing in CUDA if you have deinterlacing enabled - but it is up to NVDEC to decide what it deinterlaces, so we show NVDEC adaptive - but it may not actually be used.

In this case it is definitely not (I have yet to see any HEVC interlaced material that works properly - and that profile/framerate/depth is clearly progressive).
laasa wrote:
I have wondered a bit that a GTX950 (GM206) doesn't work.
The information display say "HEVC ffmpeg" and my CPU is to slow to do that job.
When checking the decoder page in system view, HEVC 10 4096x4096 is supported.
I have exchanged the NVidia cards of both systems. The issue comes from the graphic card. No differences in logs.
Possibly a bug of the graphic card type. Not so important but possibly interesting!
This should work. Could you share the full output from 'mythfrontend -v playback' from mythfrontend startup to the end of trying to play a 4K sample? The output of 'vdpauinfo' would be useful as well.
laasa wrote:
But more interesting is the situation on the NUC (NUC6CAYH with Intel Celeron J3455 and Intel HD Graphics 500).
The decoder page tells me that HEVC 8192x8192 and HEVC 10 8192x8192 is supported.
But the material is played with HEVC ffmpeg and my little NUC doesn't made for this ...
Interesting are the logs: It starts via VAAPI but fall back to ffmpeg.
- I CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:3096 (ProcessCallbacks) Player(0): Executing VAAPI context creation
- I CoreContext opengl/mythopenglinterop.cpp:158 (GetInteropType) OpenGLInterop: Rendering supported for frame type 'VAAPI' with VAAPI DRM
- I CoreContext opengl/mythvaapiinterop.cpp:116 (InitaliseDisplay) VAAPIInterop: Created VAAPI 1.6 display for VAAPI DRM (Intel iHD driver - 19.4.0)
- E Decoder decoders/avformatdecoder.cpp:3483 (ProcessVideoPacket) AFD: video avcodec_send_packet error: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler (-5) gotpicture:0
- I Decoder mythplayer.cpp:3081 (HandleDecoderCallback) Player(0): Queuing callback for Destroy OpenGL interop
- I CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:3096 (ProcessCallbacks) Player(0): Executing Destroy OpenGL interop
- I Decoder decoders/avformatdecoder.cpp:2448 (ScanStreams) AFD: Using ffmpeg for video decoding
- I Decoder decoders/avformatdecoder.cpp:2535 (OpenAVCodec) AFD: Opened codec 0x7f7b994eff80, id(H265) type(Video)
On same OS (XUBUNTU 20.04) the mpv can play this material without issues. Also on windows no issues with different players.

Any ideas? Do I have an configuration issue?

Looks like that Nvidia is my favourit hardware again.
Thanks in advanced.
laasa
I doubt 8192x8192 is actually supported - though 4k should be. VAAPI can be a pain with the different chipsets and I don't have a NUC (or similar) for testing.

Again can you share the output from 'mythfrontend -v playback'? and the output from 'vainfo'.

Thanks and regards
Mark
laasa
Junior
Germany

Post by laasa »

Thanks for quick answer. I have attached the 3 log files.

For GTX950 I found that region most interesting:
I VDP: decoder:nvdec renderer:opengl-hw deint0:high:shader:driver deint1:high:shader:driver cpus:1
I NVDEC: NVDEC does NOT support 'H265 Main 10 yuv420p10le Depth:10 3840x2160'
I AFD: Unavailable decoders: nvdec
I VDP: LoadBestPreferences(3840x2160, 59.940, hevc)
I VDP: LoadBestPreferences result: priority:1 width: height: fps: codecs:
I VDP: decoder:ffmpeg renderer:opengl-yv12 deint0:high:shader deint1:high:shader cpus:2
I AFD: Using 2 CPUs for decoding
=> NVDEC decide that requested profile isn't supported by hardware. But why?
If necessary I can put some more debugoutputs to the code (still dirty caused of that).

For HD Graphics 500 I have no idea what is going on there.
When lookig to the log outputs it sounds that ffmpeg is more invited for VAAPI as for VDPAU or NVDEC.
On the other side the there is the output "VAAPIDec: VAAPI supports decoding 'H265 Main 10 yuv420p10le 3840x2160'".
Possibly the "video avcodec_send_packet error: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler (-5) gotpicture:0" are the reason for a fallback strategy?

BTW. This is the output of mediainfo related to the video part of my test material:
Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1mn 0s
Bit rate : 25.0 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.050
Stream size : 179 MiB (98%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
And yes: I also have never seen HEVC interlaced material (hopefully forever).

Let me know for any additional tests.

Thanks for the help,
laasa
Attachments
HEVC4K_NVidia_GTX1050Ti.txt
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
HEVC4K_NVidia_GTX950.txt
(19.79 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
HEVC4K_Intel_GM500.txt
(31.4 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Post by mark_k »

laasa wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 pm
Thanks for quick answer. I have attached the 3 log files.

For GTX950 I found that region most interesting:
I VDP: decoder:nvdec renderer:opengl-hw deint0:high:shader:driver deint1:high:shader:driver cpus:1
I VDP: decoder:ffmpeg renderer:opengl-yv12 deint0:high:shader deint1:high:shader cpus:2
I AFD: Using 2 CPUs for decoding
=> NVDEC decide that requested profile isn't supported by hardware. But why?
If necessary I can put some more debugoutputs to the code (still dirty caused of that).
There is either an issue I can't quite see with the logic or - I think more likely - NVDEC is failing to pass the check for the number of macroblocks supported by the decoder. This isn't logged anywhere as I never thought it would be a real world problem.

I assume from your last comment that you are compiling from source? I'll pull together a simpe logging patch to test.

In the meantime, can you test the sample with ffmpeg (and nvdec) using that card? If I'm correct about the macroblock limitation, ffmpeg will report the issue.
laasa wrote:
For HD Graphics 500 I have no idea what is going on there.
When lookig to the log outputs it sounds that ffmpeg is more invited for VAAPI as for VDPAU or NVDEC.
On the other side the there is the output "VAAPIDec: VAAPI supports decoding 'H265 Main 10 yuv420p10le 3840x2160'".
Possibly the "video avcodec_send_packet error: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler (-5) gotpicture:0" are the reason for a fallback strategy?
There are 2 'failure/fallback' modes in the code. We first try and ensure that the decoder supports the stream and avoid using a hardware decoder if we know it will fail in advance (this is what is happening with the NVDEC issue above). The advantage here is that we can fallback sensibly to another display profile.

The second failure mode is detecting errors from FFmpeg and essentially starting again if an unrecoverable error is detected. This is where your VAAPI log is failing.

A couple of questions/requests:-

- from the log, it looks like there is an initial seek in that file? do you have a bookmark set?
- how much memory does the NUC have?
- can you generate a new log using 'mythfrontend -v playback,libav --loglevel=debug'? It will be quite large but will show what errors FFmpeg is actually seeing.
laasa wrote:
BTW. This is the output of mediainfo related to the video part of my test material:
Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1mn 0s
Bit rate : 25.0 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.050
Stream size : 179 MiB (98%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
And yes: I also have never seen HEVC interlaced material (hopefully forever).
I have this sample as well (Kylie Minogue?)

fwiw - interlaced HEVC does exist - it's generally not well supported however.

Regards
Mark
laasa
Junior
Germany

Post by laasa »

Pretty cool to get quick answers. Many thanks.

To your questions:
- Bookmarks: Yes I am using bookmarks but for the tests I have choosen playing from start all time (hopefully). Should I deactivate it?
- My NUC (NUC6CAYB, BIOS AYAPLCEL.86A.0066.2020.0107.1027 01/07/2020) has 4 GB RAM and Celeron @1497.600 MHz.
- I have to reboot to check how many reserved for GPU. Do you need this information? Possibly this could be the reason for missfunctions.
- Please find attached the log file for NUC (I have to shorten it a bit to meet the size limit).
- If understand you right a second task to do the same job on machine with GTX950?
- Any yes: It's Kylie.
- I have picked up some other samples in 2017. All these samples shows the same effects on all machines.So I have made a decision for Kylie ;-).

Thanks and regards,
laasa.
Attachments
HDGraphics500_Part1.txt
(254.09 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Post by mark_k »

re VAAPI - can you confirm for me that mpv works with VAAPI on the NUC?

i.e. Does the following work? :-

mpv -v -v --hwdec=vaapi '4K HEVC 59.940 Broadcast Capture Sample.mkv'

Thanks
Mark
laasa
Junior
Germany

Post by laasa »

Same device (NUC), same OS (Xubuntu 20.04), same console where starting mpv and mythavtest.
Using: mpv -fs -v -v --hwdec=vaapi /Tests/HEVC_4K_HDR/4K_HEVC_59.940_Broadcast_Capture_Sample.mkv >mpv.txt.
Works perfect here. I have add parameter -fs to have tearing free video.
I have added the log file.

The current version of MPV in Xuuntu 20.04 is 0.32.0.
mpv --version
mpv 0.32.0 Copyright © 2000-2020 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
built on UNKNOWN
ffmpeg library versions:
libavutil 56.31.100
libavcodec 58.54.100
libavformat 58.29.100
libswscale 5.5.100
libavfilter 7.57.100
libswresample 3.5.100
ffmpeg version: 4.2.2-1ubuntu1

MythTV V31.0 uses ffmpeg 4.2.1?

But I have had the same result in late 2017 and best ffmpeg version by date could be V3.4 there.
=> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2362&p=11523&hilit= ... 500#p11523.
I'm afraid that I ask the wrong questions those days.

Thanks for your help and fine for me to do some test stuff.

Regards,
laasa
Attachments
mpv.txt
(42.32 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Post by mark_k »

decodersv31.diff
(6.44 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Attached patch (for v31) is for both NVDEC and VAAPI.

The NVDEC portion won't fix anything but extra logging should highlight why it is rejecting HEVC4k decoding.

The VAAPI portion is just a hunch... fingers crossed:)

re VAAPI - I should have asked before. Can you check whether VAAPI works when using decode only? ("VAAPI Acceleration (decode only)" option in the playback profile)

Thanks
Mark
laasa
Junior
Germany

Post by laasa »

NUC is working now with the applied patch nearly perfect. That's great. I will check my other 4K material now.
When we would make it better: there are some seconds of stuttering at the start? But hey, great progress!
VAAPI Acceleration (decode only) doesn't work: Got pictures all 2 seconds but there is no Kylie in it.
I have attached the new log file (applied patch and "-v playback").
UHD1 and UHD Demo channel are viewable (QVC channels are not viewable at any time ;-)) !
I will add a second DIMM to the NUC to get a bit better performance. May be that helps against the sporadic judder.

NVidia GTX950
The relevent lines should be that:

Many thanks again for the progress.

Regards,
laasa
Attachments
GTX950_2.txt
(22.54 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
GM500_2.txt
(75.89 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Post by mark_k »

laasa wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 pm
NUC is working now with the applied patch nearly perfect. That's great. I will check my other 4K material now.
When we would make it better: there are some seconds of stuttering at the start? But hey, great progress!
VAAPI Acceleration (decode only) doesn't work: Got pictures all 2 seconds but there is no Kylie in it.
UHD1 and UHD Demo channel are viewable (QVC channels are not viewable at any time ;-)) !
I will add a second DIMM to the NUC to get a bit better performance. May be that helps against the sporadic judder.
OK - good news:)

I've pushed the VAAPI fix to the fixes/31 branch.

re stuttering at start. There are a few possible causes. On my systems, it appears as if the VAAPI driver is a little slow to initialise on the first playback - but once loaded every subsequent playback (of different samples - not just the same one) is fine.

There is also a little work to do to improve initial A/V sync at the start of playback - when the decoder is slow to start, the audio is often ahead and we have to drop some frames to catch up.
laasa wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 pm
NVidia GTX950
The relevent lines should be that:
I've also pushed some detailed logging changes to fixes/31 to see what is happening with the NVDEC decoder selection/rejection.

You will need to run with '-v playback --loglevel=debug' to get all of the messages.

Fingers crossed this time it will show why it is rejecting the NVDEC decoder.

Regards
Mark
laasa
Junior
Germany

Post by laasa »

Today I am starting to check the same hardware under Windows 10 with Kodi and it works fine (but VLC doesn't).
Same test under Xubuntu 20.04: kodi have same same issue as MythTV.
So it looks like more an issue of the linux driver.

Next was to crosscheck the NVidia pages for this board (PCI DeviceID = 1402): It should have VDPAU features F. Looks good.Isn't it?

My last test was to check with your last changes in git (please see attached file).
It looks like an issue related to the available amount of macro blocks. Isn't it?
Then my lessions learned would be: (this type of) GTX950 doesn't support HEVC 10 Bit and 4K material under linux with NVidia's proprietary drivers.
It would be OK for me.

Regards,
laasa.

GTX950
I VDP: decoder:nvdec renderer:opengl-hw deint0:high:shader:driver deint1:high:shader:driver cpus:2
D NVDEC: Trying to match: Codec 8 Format 1 Depth 2 Width 3840 Height 3840 MBs 57600
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 0 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->4080 Height 16<->4080 MBs 65280
D NVDEC: NO Match
D NVDEC: Trying to match: Codec 8 Format 1 Depth 2 Width 3840 Height 3840 MBs 57600
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 1 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->4080 Height 16<->4080 MBs 65280
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 2 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->2032 Height 16<->2032 MBs 8192
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 3 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->2032 Height 16<->2032 MBs 8192
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 4 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->4096 Height 16<->4096 MBs 65536
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 8 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 144<->4096 Height 144<->4096 MBs 36864
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 8 Format 1 Depth 1 Width 144<->4096 Height 144<->4096 MBs 36864
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 8 Format 1 Depth 2 Width 144<->4096 Height 144<->4096 MBs 36864
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 9 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->4096 Height 16<->4096 MBs 65536
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 10 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 128<->4096 Height 128<->4096 MBs 36864
D NVDEC: No matching profile support

The same section with GTX1050Ti looks like that:
I VDP: decoder:nvdec renderer:opengl-hw deint0:high:shader:driver deint1:high:shader:driver cpus:2
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 0 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->4080 Height 16<->4080 MBs 65280
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 1 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->4080 Height 16<->4080 MBs 65280
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 2 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->2032 Height 16<->2032 MBs 8192
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 3 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->2032 Height 16<->2032 MBs 8192
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 4 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 48<->4096 Height 16<->4096 MBs 65536
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 8 Format 1 Depth 0 Width 144<->8192 Height 144<->8192 MBs 262144
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 8 Format 1 Depth 1 Width 144<->8192 Height 144<->8192 MBs 262144
D NVDEC: to this profile: Codec 8 Format 1 Depth 2 Width 144<->8192 Height 144<->8192 MBs 262144
D NVDEC: Match

I NVDEC: NVDEC supports decoding 'H265 Main 10 yuv420p10le Depth:10 3840x2160'
Attachments
GTX950_3.txt
(76.44 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Post by mark_k »

laasa wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:17 pm
Today I am starting to check the same hardware under Windows 10 with Kodi and it works fine (but VLC doesn't).
Same test under Xubuntu 20.04: kodi have same same issue as MythTV.
So it looks like more an issue of the linux driver.

Next was to crosscheck the NVidia pages for this board (PCI DeviceID = 1402): It should have VDPAU features F. Looks good.Isn't it?
FWIW - Kodi does not support NVDEC and, I think, are dropping VDPAU support (they're not fans of Nvidia!)

There is no 10bit support in VDPAU, so I' not sure the VDPAU feature set will help. You probably want:-

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-enco ... ort-matrix

(GTX 950 is show in the complete list at the bottom of the page).
laasa wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:17 pm
My last test was to check with your last changes in git (please see attached file).
It looks like an issue related to the available amount of macro blocks. Isn't it?
Then my lessions learned would be: (this type of) GTX950 doesn't support HEVC 10 Bit and 4K material under linux with NVidia's proprietary drivers.
So the logs flushed out my stupid typo in the code:)

This should be working properly in master and fixes/31 now.

Apologies for the silly mistake and thanks for reporting it/helping out.

Regards
Mark
laasa
Junior
Germany

Post by laasa »

I am very happy for using my Celeron NUC with MythTV and 4K now because it is a small, nice and cheap frontend device (~200 €) with a quite better performance than a Raspi3. But possibly I have to recheck the situation (e.g. NVidia Shield or Raspi4). My last search was 3 years ago.

But at the end I am still a fan of NVida for linux based devices (unchanged since 14 years). And yes: I know about proprietary. But it is working mostly stable. My other frontends (AMD 4850e) are 12 years old and I only need to replace the graphic card for supporting new codecs (till today). With bricked devices (NUC/Raspi/NVidia Shield) I have to replace the whole device in that case.

Absolute no need for any apology. I have to say thanks for your very good support. It was a pleasure for me, really.

Regards,
laasa.