A channel does not play often

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jarnos
Junior
Finland

A channel does not play often

Post by jarnos »

I have a HD channel on antenna network (DVB-T2) that often does not play. Frontend complains it takes over 3000 ms to get lock. Sometimes I can play the channel without a problem. I can watch the channel by another device using different (unknown) software i.e. dedicated TV even when I can not by MyhtTV.

There is also another channel that is SD quality, but pixelates occasionally. I do not see that problem when watching dedicated TV.

Is there any software based remedy?
jarnos
Junior
Finland

Re: A channel does not play often

Post by jarnos »

jarnos wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:09 pm
There is also another channel that is SD quality, but pixelates occasionally. I do not see that problem when watching dedicated TV.
This seems to happen with VAAPI2 decoder only. If I use standard (CPU based) decoder, there is no such pixelating of image, but on the other hand there are frequent crashes. Is there anything that can be done to make VAAPI2 mode work better?
wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Post by wmorrison »

jarnos wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:09 pm
I can watch the channel by another device...
Is your MythTV tuner a multi-tuner? Is the other device a single tuner (like a TV?)

A multi-tuner has an internal splitter, just like those devices you use to split a coax to feed two or more TVs (or whatever.)

A two-way splitter generally loses about 3.5 db at each output (connected or not) and a four-way loses 7 db.

If you have a four tuner card, it's possible the signal degrades just enough to cause a problem sometimes, where the single-tuner device gets a stronger signal.

If you have a splitter in front of MythTV (say you connect both MythTV and your TV so you can watch live TV when MythTV is off,) I'd try removing it and running the coax directly into your tuner card. If it gets better, you could either leave it that way, or look into a distribution amplifier to use in place of the splitter.

If you don't have a splitter in front of MythTV, about all you can do is see if the connection from your antenna can be improved. (Of course, this is good to do anyway.)
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

I feed 11 tuners from my antenna with no problem, BUT, I do have a distribution amp that amplifies 2 outputs, From one I feed 7 tuners, and 4 from the other one. The one that feeds 7 is actually 3 dual tuners in my master backend and 1 TV. The other feeds 3 tv's and an old vcr.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
jarnos
Junior
Finland

Post by jarnos »

wmorrison wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:07 pm
Is your MythTV tuner a multi-tuner? Is the other device a single tuner (like a TV?)
Yes, it is double-tuner, but it has only one signal input. The TV has only one tuner.
jarnos
Junior
Finland

Post by jarnos »

I do not remember that I had this problem with MythTV 29, but I have it with 30 for sure. Could there be some software change causing this?
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

You could try doing a new channelscan with mythtv-setup. This will also give you an indication of the signal strength and thus the quality of the antenna signal.
jarnos
Junior
Finland

Post by jarnos »

kmdewaal wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:37 pm
You could try doing a new channelscan with mythtv-setup. This will also give you an indication of the signal strength and thus the quality of the antenna signal.
The UI did not show me the signal strength and quality during scan even if there was some reserved place in the left to show them. Anyway, I can now watch the channel, but maybe it is just that the radio weather is different.