On the fly recordings marked as failed

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

devnull
Junior
Canada

On the fly recordings marked as failed

Post by devnull »

Thanks for the help on my earlier topic wrt failed recordings fixed with the purchase of a newer tuner card.

Now I get fewer failed recordings, and the ones that do fail are usually due to signal lock issues. I fiddled with the antenna angle just now so we'll see if that fixed :)

Anyhow, that said -- occasionally I'll be watching Live TV and hit "R" to toggle record. It seems like the program records successfully (from where I began watching, of course), but is marked as failed in the backend, even though it recorded through to the end of the scheduled time.

Is this a bug or was there a misconfiguration on my end? TIA.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Re: On the fly recordings marked as failed

Post by blm-ubunet »

Digital TV broadcast modulation is almost immune to multipath (COFDM n carriers & low symbol rate) so you could ditch the directional yagi style antenna & use a ganged array flat panel style.
Get the same gain but much wide input angles. Multipath is your friend.
Gang n panels together & will out perform almost any directional antenna.

If you had been watching LiveTV before the "recording" started you would have recorded all of the program.
Failed & damaged recordings are set by rules on PTS continuity errors & gaps & missing bits at the ends.
Can't recall if LiveTV "recording" with beginning missing is failed or damaged or both..
devnull
Junior
Canada

Post by devnull »

Oh, I've never heard those terms before... I use an AntennasDirect DB4e, which has a fairly wide angle. It's just that I was literally pointing it at the middle of the lake (instead of towards Toronto, Ontario) because I misjudged where I was supposed to be pointing to :)

Anyhow, appreciate the insight on the recordings issue.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

Your antenna is a ganged array & should work fine as long as it is mounted high enough off the ground.
There's an online tool for checking the profile & signal strength estimates
http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html
Can change the height of the Tx & Rx.