Hail Mary

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kfd82
Newcomer
United States of America

Hail Mary

Post by kfd82 »

Is there any resource out there, that gives a step by step, every single command, monkey see-monkey do, setup guide for mythtv? I've tried MythTV ver. 30 on Ubuntu 18, Mythbuntu 16, and probably a couple more I can't remember. The system will install (generally). When trying to set it up, I get file/command not found, you don't have permission to do that, etc errors. Or, I'll type in a command, and just get another command prompt, with no evidence that something was done, or what I'm suppose to input. I've run Myth-setup, and thought I've set the storage groups/directories, but when I try to exit setup, it tells me the directories don't exist, even though I can see them in file explorer.

I've tried this on a multi-disk system, on a single disk system, all to no success.

?????
wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Re: Hail Mary

Post by wmorrison »

Have you tried LinHES? It's pretty much a guided setup of the full system (Arch Linux based.)

However, I would only recommend LinHES to someone who wanted to repurpose a couple-year-old machine, didn't care about learning to administer linux, and just wanted to "install and go."

When I tried it, I found...

- Installer doesn't support UEFI (even burned to USB stick with Rufus or similar)
- Didn't see my SSD
- No direct partitioning of drive, just settings sizes for the partitions LinHES chooses (easy, but less flexible)
- Didn't support my video (Intel UHD Graphics 630) only ran if I forced VESA mode
- Once installed, didn't have firmware for my Wifi card (onboard motherboard ASRock B360M-ITX/ac)

Since LinHES is constrained to its own repos, you can't just run an update to get support for the latest hardware. And they strongly discourage adding extra repos.

Their goal is for LinHES to work like an appliance. Installing it is very easy. It worked "OK" for me even in VESA mode and no Wifi (I didn't actually record anything, but it found and set up my tuner card,) but since I had bought fairly recent hardware, I moved on to Xubuntu+MythTV. Definitely took way more work and figuring things out. Unfortunately, I didn't save any step-by-steps.
kfd82
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kfd82 »

I'll give LinHES a try. I'd like to learn how to administer linux, but I've never had any luck with it.

The current machine is running Mythbuntu 12, which was pretty much a walk in the park to set up; but I'd like to get a new box up and running as this one has been running for six years or so.

Thank you for the suggestion.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

For a MythTV 30 installation on Ubuntu e.g. Xubuntu 18.04 LTS see viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3114#p15073

If you are using network tuners e.g. HD HomeRun, VBox please also see https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/625986#625986

Mike
kfd82
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kfd82 »

I saw those, and followed the first one. Myth setup could see and scan using the HDHomeRun, so I didn't worry much about the second link. When viewing system status through MythWeb, all tuners were online. Recordings then failed, labeled B. When I checked the log, it looked like when the system tried to create the file to record to, permission was denied. The icing on that try was when the Asus Oplay I use to view recordings could not access the folder that would hold them.
kfd82
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kfd82 »

@wmorrison, thank you for the suggestion! LinHes installed, setup, and recorded with ease. Plus, it took a single click to share recordings over the network. Again, thank you for the suggestion.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Is there any resource out there, that gives a step by step, every single command, monkey see-monkey do, setup guide for mythtv?
Example installation steps for installing MythTV v30 with Ubuntu 18.04 on an Asus H110T with Intel graphics and using an HDHomeRun Prime cablecard tuner* are available here.

*MythTV is compatible with a cablecard tuner with channels that are encrypted if there is no copy restriction and unencrypted/clear-qam channels.
Ted | My blog
wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Post by wmorrison »

kfd82 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:05 pm
@wmorrison, thank you for the suggestion! LinHes installed, setup, and recorded with ease. Plus, it took a single click to share recordings over the network. Again, thank you for the suggestion.
Glad it worked. I liked LinHES, just wasn't right for me.