Not finding my mainmenu.xml?

wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Not finding my mainmenu.xml?

Post by wmorrison »

I'm modifying a theme. In ~/.mythtv/themes I've copied a whole theme directory to a new name, and modified the name in themeinfo.xml. I am able to select this menu in setup.

I want to modify items on the main menu, which this theme doesn't redefine, so I copied /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml into my new theme directory and modified it. Ownership and attributes are correct (same as other files in the directory.)

It's not picking it up. I know you have to exit and restart the frontend to pick up changes to the main menu (unlike menus linked from it) but I have done that. It doesn't even pick it up after this morning's boot (which shouldn't be necessary, anyway.)

The only thing mythfrontend.log tells me is that mainmenu.xml was found for my theme name.

What am I doing wrong?
wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Re: Not finding my mainmenu.xml?

Post by wmorrison »

The menu theme development guide implies mainmenu.xml should be copied into your theme folder.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_ ... _Main_Menu

Scroll up a bit from the heading. The last directory mentioned was the custom theme directory being modified.

But, according to the following page, I should create ~/.mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml and edit that.

http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mytht ... 00685.html

I'll have to try that tonight. But, it would affect all themes, right? That's OK for me. It makes sense, as it allows a ui theme to be selected by the user without changing any customized menu entries.
wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Post by wmorrison »

~/.mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml is correct.

Didn't work the first time so I put it on the back burner, but got back to it the other day.

At first, it prevented mythfrontend from starting, so I watched the log and it complained about a '&' at the end of my exec command, so I took that out and it works.

This means the exec blocks mythfrontend until it is complete. Which may be desireable in some cases, but not others.

Is there a way to get the menu to exec something to run independently and return control to mythfrontend? Like you can do at command line with 'command &'.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

I think the menu system was set to work this way mainly to not respond to LIRC button presses until the program started by exec finishes. Does whatever you are trying to launch have to be started using a menu button? Can it be a system event instead such as keystroke event or "live tv started"? If so, a system event command can be entered in mythfronend --> Setup --> System Event Handlers.
Ted | My blog