Atom CPU Enough Power?

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kbocek
Senior
United States of America

Atom CPU Enough Power?

Post by kbocek »

I have an old unused rackmount box that I would like to move Mythbackend (only) to. Is the Atom 330 cpu in the box strong enough to host mythbackend? I'm going to leave the database and file space on another server and access it through NFS.

Code: Select all

$ lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    2
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 28
Model name:            Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  330   @ 1.60GHz
Stepping:              2
CPU MHz:               1600.191
BogoMIPS:              3200.38
L1d cache:             24K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              512K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
Flags:                 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl aperfmperf eagerfpu pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dtherm
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: Atom CPU Enough Power?

Post by heyted »

Maybe with a few channels, not many tuners and light guide data. I used an Atom D2550 with a GeForce GT 610 GPU for a combined frontend and backend system, but rwagner did not like that idea as described here. It worked quite well.
Ted | My blog
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

As long as you don't do a lot of transcoding or real time commercial flagging, I would think it has way more than enough power.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
kbocek
Senior
United States of America

Post by kbocek »

You both talk about a "light" workload. I have no idea what that is. My setup has six tuners but I rarely use more than three.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

I ran 4 tuners on an old amd 64 way back when with a frontend on the same machine. No problem with OTA HD. Until recently, I used an old AMD 4 core Phenom 805 with the 6 tuners I ave had for years. I also ran a frontend with an old 800Mhz Duron. All a backend does is store the recorded ota mpeg2 file that it gets from the tuners. It takes hardly any power for that. An old single core 486 could probably handle it without a problem. I don't know how time flagging and/or transcoding would affect an atom cpu, but as long as you don't do tii much, there shouldn't be a problem. My current cpu is a cheap Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz using the on board video. Just started recordind 6 programs. Here's the cpu speed of each core/
wes@mythfe0:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep MHz
cpu MHz : 1858.196
cpu MHz : 1873.678
cpu MHz : 2014.327
cpu MHz : 1750.106

Sopped all recordings and here normal state. As you can see there isn't much difference.
wes@mythfe0:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep MHz
cpu MHz : 1588.327
cpu MHz : 1596.844
cpu MHz : 1596.409
cpu MHz : 1596.711
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
kbocek
Senior
United States of America

Post by kbocek »

I remember Durons! I had one two or three ages ago.

That is what I thought: Mythbackend is not CPU intensive. Sounds like there will be enough power on this little box. Now I can get my backend off of Centos 6 where it is such a pain to upgrade. And I'll put Mythweb on the box too. I know that won't be a burden.
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gribnif »

I ran my backend on an Atom-based motherboard for a while. It worked well for most things, however it was only SATA 2. Recording too many streams at once would cause timeouts. Even doing a "check" of my RAID array would be dramatically slow--not because of the CPU, but because of the relatively slow disk i/o.
kbocek
Senior
United States of America

Post by kbocek »

I'm going to leave the recordings on a way beefier server with lots of storage. I think the limitation will be Gig Ethernet. My understanding is that an HD stream really doesn't take that much.
Hussar_303
Newcomer
Belgium

Post by Hussar_303 »

Thanks for the answer, I'm not the original poster but was wondering about my Atom CPU build being powerful enough as well; that kind of info is surprisingly hard to find, most results you get on Google are related to computer CPUs and games...