RGB Color (2,2,2) transparent on window hovering playback frame

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
jarnos
Junior
Finland

RGB Color (2,2,2) transparent on window hovering playback frame

Post by jarnos »

I have this strange problem with nvidia-340 driver (version 340.107-0ubuntu0.18.04.3) in Ubuntu 18.04. When I have playback window open, and I use accelerated graphics profile (VDPAU or OpenGL), and I put another window on having some area of almost black RGB color (2,2,2), it will be transparent showing image of the playback window (even if there is/are yet another window between them).
It only happens with mythfronted in my experience. (MythTV version 29.1 from Mythbuntu PPA) Not with Kodi or e.g. VLC
This problem does not happen with nouveau driver, but with nvidia driver playback quality is better and CPU usage is low.
What could be causing this? Can anyone reproduce the bug, or does this work as expected in anyone's system when using nvidia driver and VDPAU or such?
jarnos
Junior
Finland

Re: RGB Color (2,2,2) transparent on window hovering playback frame

Post by jarnos »

I have the same problem with another computer that has the same OS and driver but different NVIDIA graphics hardware. The problem was also present with older version of Ubuntu, nvidia-340 driver and MythTV.
jarnos
Junior
Finland

Re: RGB Color (2,2,2) transparent on window hovering playback frame

Post by jarnos »

Someone told me in Nvidia dev forum that the color (2,2,2) is chosen by MythTV frontend as chroma key when using overlays for better performance and to avoid tearing. That may work well for the UI components in the frontend's playback window, but not for other applications. Would it be possible to disable video, if there is some other window focused so that transparent color would not be an issue? Would it be possible to play audio only in such a case optionally?