Hauppauge HD-PVR2 / Colossus2 support

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Re: Hauppauge HD-PVR2 / Colossus2 support

Post by ibedonc »

I wonder if this could be related to my issue

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13292#no1
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

That trac ticket relates to a different broadcast standard based on your location (USA) it is unlikely.

Is your device plugged into a USB 3 port (typically blue) by any chance ?
If you have a USB 2 port try it instead. I have seen xhci_hcd disconnects on other devices

Mike
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

the Colossus 2 plugs into pci-e slot , but looks like a usb , pretty sure it has it own PCI-E to USB bridge chip

I have 2 of them . it did the same with just one
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

I have 2 of these cards mostly working , my only issues are changing channels in livetv , it times out and drops back to the menu
if I start from the menu that works , another problem is sometime when you start from the menu and try livetv it will work but no sound
so I exit out and try again and sound is there

I am using HDMI input with SPDIF
tekdoc
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by tekdoc »

Thanks for your work on this wrapper John! My HD PVR died last week and I decided to go with a new HD PVR 2 GE instead of buying another HD PVR on eBay. So far it seems to be working well for recordings but as others have mentioned, changing channels in live TV fails. Do you still plan to look into this issue? If so, I'd be glad to help with troubleshooting; just let me know what you need.

- Jon
tekdoc
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by tekdoc »

Following up on my last post, I wanted to point out that live TV works when using Kodi as a frontend (unfortunately not supported here), so this is appears to be a mythfrontend problem and nothing to do with the HD PVR 2 wrapper :|
KaseyK
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by KaseyK »

Not a MythTV question, but Googling has led me here, and I am looking for some guidance.
I have a Hauppauge HD-PVR2 157320. The one and only reason I still use Windows is for the Hauppauge Capture program to record from the HD-PVR2. Works great with great quality and perfect recordings from DirecTV HDMI source. I use AVIDemux on Linux to cut out commercials or trim beginning and endings of captures.
So I spent the day getting the HD-PVR2 working on my HTPC running Ubuntu 20.04. Able to capture using Hauppauge TestAPP and the HauppaugeUSB from the 1st post. Started of with basic settings like:
sudo /opt/Hauppauge/bin/hauppauge2 --serial xxxxxx --output test.ts
to finally
sudo /opt/Hauppauge/bin/hauppauge2 --serial xxxxxx -i 3 -a 3 -S 3 -R 29 -C 0 -B 7 -A 0 -p 4 -r 14800000 --output test.ts

The issue I'm having is the .ts file created is not able to be edited in AviDemux (unseekable), or any other program using Linux or Windows. I can not cut out commercials because I can not jump to next key frames. I've read where others are having the same issue. This happens using TestAPP and hauppauge2. I've tried playing with the -B switch but it makes no difference. Using programs to rebuild the frame index does not work either.
Any suggestions on what I can do to to make the output .ts files work in AviDemux, or other video editing programs so I can cut sections out? You would be helping me delete my last remaining Windows partition.
KaseyK
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by KaseyK »

So the seeking issue turned out to be the -X switch.
-X 0 not seekable (FRAME)
-X 1 not seekable (Field)
-X 2 WORKS (MBAFF) looked washed out though.
-X 3 errors/stopped recording after 1 minute. (PAFF)

So adding the -F 0 switch made the video look better, -F 1 caused Avidemux to complain amount IDR frames
The best combination seems to be -X 2 -F 0 -B 5 (lower b frames seems to lower Avidemux complaining about IDR frames).
And for me, a bit rate over 14800000 caused capture errors after about 1 minute. After backing down from 15000000 to 14800000 bitrate, the capture errors stopped.

So my mostly working command is:
sudo /opt/Hauppauge/bin/hauppauge2 --serial xxxxxx -i 3 -a 3 -S 3 -R 29 -C 0 -B 5 -A 0 -p 4 -r 14800000 -X 2 -F 0 --output testxx.ts

The video looks a little herky jerky with the -X switch, but I am hoping lowering the -B value will help with that, and perhaps a lower bit rate or VBR will help as well.

Thanks to the OP for improving the Hauppauge driver so we have more control over the output.