HDHomeRun Quattro

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kr_emerson
Newcomer
United States of America

HDHomeRun Quattro

Post by kr_emerson »

I'm currently running version 28.1 and one of my HDHR Duals died. I've replaced it with HDHR Quattro, but it isn't recognized by MythTV-Setup. Can someone tell me: 1) Do I need to assign an IP address to it to be recognized? 2) Is this supported? 2) If it is, what version do I need to upgrade to in order to install it? V29 or V30? Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ken Emerson
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: HDHomeRun Quattro

Post by bill6502 »

Don't have one, so not much help. If you search the -users mailing list, you'll find
folks are using them, for example: https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/619303#619303

My non-Quatro HDHRs all respond to a simple ping, and I can go to the box's web page.

See if there are tools for it, like other HDHR products, such as: hdhomerun_config discover
which will find it. If that can't, MythTV can't.

For setup, the IP address isn't manually entered. Rather, the HDHR device will return a number like 1234ABCD
and the IP that MythTV will use.

There have been instances where a firewall blocked access to network based tuners.

Good luck.
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

I have a Quattro, works well, currently on v30 of MythTV. I'm not expert on HDHomerun devices, but I have been using them for years.

As far as I know, they must have an IP address, which could be acquired by DHCP. In my case I give the device a fixed IP by address reservation on my router. I believe the MAC address is printed on the box it comes in, and on the device itself, or it can be found by hdhomerun_config discover.

Hope this helps.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Right, an IP is used. But for setup, the backend will discover the device and use the address returned.
[The original question was "1) Do I need to assign an IP address to it to be recognized?" and getting
the address is automatic.]

I updated my answer to make that clearer, thanks.
kr_emerson
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kr_emerson »

Just wanted to update my post for others. I upgraded to v29 and then to v30. It took me a while to understand the new UI in the HDHR backend setup, but got all 6 tuners configured and working. The only negative to the new version is that I have to remember to restart the backend after rebooting or all of my tuners are failed. I'll get around to fixing the startup script to wait on the network sometime in the future.

-- Ken Emerson
novellahub
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by novellahub »

kr_emerson wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 pm
The only negative to the new version is that I have to remember to restart the backend after rebooting or all of my tuners are failed. I'll get around to fixing the startup script to wait on the network sometime in the future.

-- Ken Emerson
I got around this issue by doing by doing the following:

In the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service
Add the following two lines:

Code: Select all

[Unit]
After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service
I am running Xubutu 18.04 and use the HDHomerun Quatro. I had to restart my backend as well before this change.