New Install 0.30 Can wake database

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tonyr63
Junior
Ireland

New Install 0.30 Can wake database

Post by Tonyr63 »

Installed fresh Ubuntu 18.04.2 64 and installed MythTv 0.30 via apt-get install having added the required repositories (PPA) & checked via. - apt-cache policy package name and used sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu.

When I attempted to configure I got caught in the add user name to group MythTv group loop bug so I manually added the required user.

Next unexpected obstacle occurred when I discovered that the backend database cannot be woken up. My setup is a single Backend & Frontend machine so it was initially installed as Loopback but I changed to my static IP number but still the database cannot be started. I checked the Mythtv config xml file and all the settings are as recommended.
I was also seeing intermittently seeing "Cannot ping Host ip address on the network in MythTv configuration even though it could be pinged from the terminal.

I assumed the installation would have setup mysql with PAM and have the required users and permissions as I was not prompted to supply this information. What do I need to check to recover this fresh new installation?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: New Install v30.0 Can wake database

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by "the backend database cannot be woken up".

Do this: ls -ld {~,~mythtv}/.mythtv/config.xml and you should see symbolic links
to /etc/mythtv/config.xml.

If you look at /etc/mythtv/config.xml, you'll see the credentials for accessing the
mythconverg DB (which is the one MythTV uses.) Using those, you can see if
MySQL, or MariaDB allows access with the following:

mysql --user=mythtv --password=<password from config.xml> --host=localhost mythconverg

For a backend with the DB on the same host, the <Host> entry should be localhost.

If that doesn't work, the backend won't. The next step would be checking the mysql DB to see
if the credentials. Or, I completely misread your question and the DB isn't even started.

For that: systemctl status mysql.service. Your distribution may use mysqld or mariadb for
the service name, so try all three if the first one fails.
Tonyr63
Junior
Ireland

Re: New Install 0.30 Can wake database

Post by Tonyr63 »

Hi Bill

Thanks for your suggestions.

I gave up after 12 hours of effort troubleshooting over 3 days and following several other threads reporting the exact same problem. My configuration being completely fresh had the default user mythtv and default password mythtv and both config.xml files had the same correct information. Only Myth can make you feel like your losing your mind and it seems to be getting even less user friendly over time and coming from a very low base too. I know it is stable and good once you get it working but there is simply no excuse for it being released to the public so buggy and difficult for users to install and configure. Ubuntu 18.04 is widely distributed software with a known file structure and Myth should be able to configure ITSELF and not lock users out to the point that they cannot even start the initial config program directly following a so called successful installation conducted according to recommended apt-get install procedures. Myth needs to stop adding new features and fix their installation packages so they are more robust and reliable because it should no be released without being properly tested. I know it is FREE open source software but peoples time is not always worthless either.

The fact that post install and on first starting the backend configuration you are met with a message suggesting your user account should be added to the MythTv group and when you choose Yes and log off on on again you are looped around again is simply not acceptable for released software by any standard. How did this escape the testing process?

I restored my 16.04 Mythtv 0.28 image and got it back working and I don't know if there is really an valid risk free upgrade path considering the poor state of the installation packages. I will try in a test environment when I get more time free bit it really should not be as hard as this.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Unfortunately the core MythTV team only officially releases source code. The packaging is done by people on the Ubuntu team, and they themselves are no longer using MythTV so that the motivation to keep it up to date may not be there.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

pgbennett wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:21 pm
Unfortunately the core MythTV team only officially releases source code. The packaging is done by people on the Ubuntu team, and they themselves are no longer using MythTV so that the motivation to keep it up to date may not be there.

Until the packaging issues are resolved.

For a basic mythtv frontend/backend install on the same machine, please see the following post:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3114#p15073

@pgbennett
Peter,

Would it be possible to add a link to the above post (or the contents) to the mythtv wiki:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

Note this also applies to Debian where the packages have been built in accordance with
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian

I would do this myself but I don't have a login (and new logins are disabled - I believe due to spam)

Mike