What channel frequency do I use for RCN on a HDHomerun Prime tuner

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
necbot
Junior
United States of America

What channel frequency do I use for RCN on a HDHomerun Prime tuner

Post by necbot »

Hi there,

I got my MythTV backend (mostly) working! I ran into a few snags along the way but I"m mostly through it. I have a few more questions though. My cable provider is RCN and I have a digital cable subscription. I have an HDHomerun Prime network tuner, which is working perfectly (the CableCard is activated and I can watch all my digitial HD channels on it).

My questions are...

In Local Settings there is a "Channel frequency table" field. What do I set this as? I was assuming us-cable, but there is also us-cable-hrc and us-cable-irc

In Video Sources I added my SchedulesDirect login and password and clicked "Retrieve Lineups" It properly retrieved my lineup and listed it as "RCN Cable-CableDigital-Digital...", so no problems there. My question is; in "Input Connections" I have two options "Scan for channels" and "Fetch channel from listings source". When I scan for channels it just freezes though. I"m not sure what I"m doing wrong. The scan section has some channel limits but they only go up to channel 54 and I have over 300 channels on RCN. I tried changing some of these but I was never able to get the channel scan to work. Is anyone on RCN? Can you post the settings I would need for this tuner?
ylee
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: What channel frequency do I use for RCN on a HDHomerun Prime tuner

Post by ylee »

Glad to hear that RCN still makes all channels available on CableCARD; pity most other cable providers (except Wow! in the Midwest, I think) don't also do so.

The default "us-cable" setting is fine. There is no channel scanning with CableCARD (or digital cable in general, except with QAM, which as a CableCARD user you aren't using).
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: What channel frequency do I use for RCN on a HDHomerun Prime tuner

Post by heyted »

Don't scan for channels in MythTV when using a HDHomeRun Prime. Instead, use the Prime's web page interface using an internet browser to scan for channels. Then, use Schedules Direct or mythfilldatabase to add all channels to MythTV. The encrypted channels will work with MythTV if the copy protection is set to copy freely.

ylee, Cable TV using a cablecard is still available in many parts of the USA from companies such as Comcast. Cablecard support is still a requirement by the FCC.
Ted | My blog