SOLVED: MythFrontend crashes on launch after upgrade

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
Medieval Cow
Newcomer
United States of America

SOLVED: MythFrontend crashes on launch after upgrade

Post by Medieval Cow »

After running an upgrade to MythTV .28 via MacPorts, I now have MythFrontend crashing on launch with the following alert:
Error: 1011. 2019-04-22 21:54:14.754 mythfrontend[3465:65920] not in fullscreen state
Handling Segmentation fault: 11
MythBackend is running just fine (It successfully recorded something tonight, and I'm able to access and play the recordings from a MythTV app installed on my Apple TV). But starting the Frontend just crashes immediately every time. I've attached the MythFrontend log file as well. Any ideas?
Attachments
mythfrontend.20190423045410.3465.log
(12.59 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Last edited by Medieval Cow on Sun May 12, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: MythFrontend crashes on launch after upgrade

Post by pvr4me »

I don't see much in the log. Just that you're using Qt 5.12.3. I presume that means you are on a recent version of macOS. Which one?

For the kind of crashes you're experiencing, the OS should save a crash dump. In Applications/Utilities, open Console and look under User Diagnostic Reports. Hopefully that will tell us where mythfrontend is wandering off into the weeds.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
Medieval Cow
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Medieval Cow »

I'm on macOS Sierra 10.12.6. The machine I'm using can go up to High Sierra, but I haven't bit the bullet and upgraded the OS yet, since that always seems to be a crapshoot with keeping things running.

For right now, I restored a Time Machine backup to get everything working again, because this week has been crazy and that was all I had time for. I'll try the upgrade again in a couple days and grab those logs.

In the meantime, if it proves tricky to get that figured out, is there an easier way to downgrade that install than just restoring to a Time Machine backup? Having that backup is great to get me back up and running in a worst-case scenario, but it'd be great to not have to rely on that if I want to just try that upgrade to troubleshoot a solution and it doesn't work out.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

With MacPorts, the default is your previously installed version is not deleted. You can "activate" a previous version fairly easily. For example, say it is Qt 5.12 that is causing the problem you observed. You could activate the 5.11 or 5.10 version for all your installed Qt modules (there are quite a few). 'man port-activate' shows the syntax.

Craig
Medieval Cow
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Medieval Cow »

All right, finally got a chance to try this again, and somehow now the MythTV .28 upgrade is failing in a different way.

So after having trouble last time, I restored a full Time Machine backup to before I had attempted the upgrade and got everything back to how it was. After just using the system normally for the last week or so, I followed the same steps to upgrade again, and I'm getting this output in Terminal:
$ sudo port upgrade mythtv.28
---> Computing dependencies for mythtv-core.28
---> Fetching archive for mythtv-core.28
---> Attempting to fetch mythtv-core.28-0.28.2-Fixes-20180201_6.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/mythtv-core.28
---> Attempting to fetch mythtv-core.28-0.28.2-Fixes-20180201_6.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2 from http://sea.us.packages.macports.org/mac ... tv-core.28
---> Attempting to fetch mythtv-core.28-0.28.2-Fixes-20180201_6.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2 from http://aus.us.packages.macports.org/mac ... tv-core.28
---> Fetching distfiles for mythtv-core.28
---> Verifying checksums for mythtv-core.28
---> Extracting mythtv-core.28
---> Applying patches to mythtv-core.28
---> Configuring mythtv-core.28
---> Building mythtv-core.28
Error: Failed to build mythtv-core.28: command execution failed
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/main.log for details.
Attached logs. I'm pretty baffled as to how I'm getting a totally different failure now. :-/ And even though the update just fails, it's somehow made my current install break. Fun times! Any help on what the heck I broke is much appreciated.
Attachments
main.log.zip
(136.63 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

It is failing here:

Code: Select all

:info:build imagemetadata.cpp:303:19: error: no type named 'Error' in namespace 'Exiv2'
:info:build     catch (Exiv2::Error &e)
:info:build            ~~~~~~~^
:info:build /opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/moc -DMMX -DUSING_APPLEREMOTE -D_GNU_SOURCE -DMETA_API -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB --include /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/libs/libmythmetadata/moc_predefs.h -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/mkspecs/macx-clang -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/libs/libmythmetadata -I/opt/local/include/libxml2 -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/libs/libmythbase -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/libs/libmythtv -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/libs -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/libs/libmythmetadata -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/libs/libmythui -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/external/FFmpeg -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/libs/libmyth -I/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-8238e839/mythtv/external/libmythbluray -I/opt/local/include/taglib -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/lib/QtWidgets.framework/Headers -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/lib/QtGui.framework/Headers -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/lib/QtNetwork.framework/Headers -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/lib/QtXml.framework/Headers -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/lib/QtSql.framework/Headers -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/lib/QtCore.framework/Headers -I/opt/local/include -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1 -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib/clang/9.0.0/include -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk/usr/include -F/opt/local/libexec/qt5/lib parentalcontrols.h -o moc_parentalcontrols.cpp
:info:build 1 error generated.
:info:build make[2]: *** [imagemetadata.o] Error 1
This is a new one on me. I don't really have time for at least a week to try to recreate.

As I said before, your previous versions are still available to be activated. It appears that you got all the dependencies updated to the most recent versions available via MacPorts. It is possible that something changed in exiv2 recently that led to this failure. You can reactivate a prior version and then reactivate your prior version of Myth. Steps (untested):

port clean mythtv-core.28

port installed exiv2
This will list the installed versions of exiv2. Output from my system:

The following ports are currently installed:
  exiv2 @0.24_0
  exiv2 @0.25_0
  exiv2 @0.26_1
  exiv2 @0.27_0
  exiv2 @0.27_1 (active)
Say I wanted to activate the prior version (0.27_0). I do that:

sudo port activate exiv2 @0.27_0
If that works, then do a similar process with mythtv-core.28 to get the last working version activated again.

NOTE that after activating mythtv-core.28, or even exiv2, the MacPorts software automatically runs a check on the libraries that the now-activaed software is using. If it finds apparent broken library linkages, it will offer to upgrade and rebuild. DON"T allow it. (That will just put you back to the non-working state you have before.) Instead take the list of broken packages and use the above commands ('port installed blah', 'sudo port activate blah @0.vv.v') to get back to a working install. This could take multiple rounds as deps may have broken links to other deps. Eventually, however, you should get there.

I'll try to make some time this month to give the mythtv-tv ports some love.

Craig
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Post by dizygotheca »

See https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13452

Stick to exiv2 v0.27_0 or use the (simple) patch from there.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

dizygotheca wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:42 pm
See https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13452

Stick to exiv2 v0.27_0 or use the (simple) patch from there.
Thanks. So, just to be certain, it appears that the patch from the ticket was applied to master and version 30. Not anything earlier? If so, I'll incorporate the patch for 0.28 in MacPorts.

Craig
Medieval Cow
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Medieval Cow »

All right, that did the trick! Got the upgrade installed (and crashing) again. I've attached the crashlog. Hopefully that can point us in the right direction.
Attachments
mythfrontend_2019-05-05-152253_Larry.crash.zip
(23.1 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

As I read it (and I am almost completely illiterate when reading crash reports), it is failing in a callback from a Qt widget. I have no idea why that might be.

Have you tried rolling Qt back to the prior version? The output of 'mythutil --version' will tell you which version Myth is using. Note that there are quite a few modules used by Myth so it will be pretty tedious to get them all on the same prior version. 'port installed qt5*' will show you all the modules and the versions available to activate.

Craig
Medieval Cow
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Medieval Cow »

All right, rolling back QT did the trick! You were right, there were quite a few modules, and I had to use the -f flag on them because a lot of them are, unsurprisingly, dependent on each other. But once I did that, everything seems to be working now. MythFrontend launches and plays recordings, the backend successfully recorded a show this morning. Looks good!

Thanks again for all the help on this!