What is the correct way to add HDhomerun devices in version 30?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

!real
Newcomer
United States of America

What is the correct way to add HDhomerun devices in version 30?

Post by !real »

What is the correct way to add HDhomerun devices in version 30? I have a HDHomerun Prime (HDHR3-6CC-3X2) and two HDHomerun Dual (HDHR3-US) These tuners worked flawlessly in v28. Best I remember in the v28 capture card setup the HDHomerun Prime devices were found and listed as 12345678-0, 12345678-1, and 12345678-2, each device was listed three times with a sub number for each tuner, and the HDHomerun Dual was listed two times such as 87654321-0 and 87654321-1, while in v30 all my devices are simply 12345678 listed one time like one single device with a single tuner. The interface is entirely different for the capture card setup in v30. What is the proper way to set these tuners up?

I tried adding two of the same tuners hoping Mythtv would understand they were dual tuner devices, and the one devices does work fine, but when recording back to back (with a few seconds overlap) the first records correctly but when Mythtv tries to selected the second tuner it times out and the recording is lost and marked Bad in the recordings.

I understand the HDHomerun Prime does not support Multi-rec, but the HDHomerun Dual does. What is the correct way to setup the HDHomerun Dual to support Multi-rec?

Thanks,
sleepyhead
Newcomer
Canada

Re: What is the correct way to add HDhomerun devices in version 30?

Post by sleepyhead »

I'm having the same problem with the HDHomeRun Dual on v30. I was able to in an older version and hdhomerun_config discover finds my device, but when I go to add it in v30, the tuner number option simply isn't there.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

Correct, in v30 the old suffix isn't used. But we still must add as many tuners as desired.

The intent is to allow other's to use tuners and provide locking. The Release Noted have
been updated to reference: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/57a0ad8 which has
more detail about the change.

As noted there, after updating to v30, the -1, -2 etc. suffixes will be gone.
cerickson
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by cerickson »

This doesn't really answer the question. I'm trying to install mythtv 30 on ubuntu. There is no HDHomeRun device option. What do I have to do to get the device to be seen in mythtv-backend?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

A common issue is having an early MythTV version with *buntu.

Try this: mythbackend --version | grep using_hdhomerun to see if your version
was built with HDHomerun. If you don't see: using_hdhomerun see this:
viewtopic.php?p=15088
MickeyRat
Junior
United States of America

Post by MickeyRat »

I just went through reinstalling myth 0.30 (my fault the old version got hosed) and I use hdhomeruns. I was confused about this too. As others have said, you set up inputs for each tuner. Never mind it only shows one HDHR at an address. If it's got 2 tuners as mine do, set up an input for each tuner at that address. I have 2 HDHRs with 2 tuners each so I have 4 inputs all bound to the same video source.
deschmit
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by deschmit »

I have the HDHR-US version of the homerun. It has 2 tuners but also 2 inputs. I have to separate antennas hooked up to each input. The antennas are oriented in different directions so they get different channels. How to I setup a different set of channels for each tunner if -0 and -1 are no longer?
eussrh
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by eussrh »

How do you set up multiple inputs? I have a hdhomerun prime, which I configure under the capture cards. I also have a single video source since they all tune to the same channel. When I get to the input setup, I am only given the option of creating a single input. This is using 3.0 and the setup is using mythtv-setup.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

With v30 you must define each tuner (e.g. I have 3.) Then in section 5. Input connections, all
configured tuners will be displayed.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The configuration HDHomeRun devices is now documented in the WIki in paragraph https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... Run_tuners. The Channel Scanning How To is written for the forthcoming MythTV v31 but the HDHomeRun setup is the same for v30.

About the HDHomeRun device with two antenna inputs. I cannot think of a way to configure HDHomeRun device with two tuners and with different antenna signals for each tuner. It would be interesting to know how the HDHomeRun software, e.g. the Android app, does handle this, but my guess is that it will be the same as what MythTV now does.