Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by heyted »

Xubuntu 16.04 EOL is April 21, 2019. It looks like I will be finally installing Xubuntu 18.04 soon.
Ted | My blog
KennyB
Junior
United States of America

Re: Xubuntu 16.04 and Mythbuntu 16.04 End of Life This Month

Post by KennyB »

I thought they had extended it to 2021, but it looks like that doesn't apply to the Xubuntu flavor?

How disappointing. I have been running 18.04 on a new desktop I just acquired, and I really just don't see the improvement. In fact, lots of regressions if anything.
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

KennyB wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:01 pm
I thought they had extended it to 2021, but it looks like that doesn't apply to the Xubuntu flavor?

How disappointing. I have been running 18.04 on a new desktop I just acquired, and I really just don't see the improvement. In fact, lots of regressions if anything.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised and confused too.

I still have my Mythbuntu 14.04 0.27 install running, and it appears to still be getting 14.04LTS updates, but those end this month, so I am rushing around to upgrade TO 16.04 LTS. It is supposed to ahve standard support for another two years.

Here is the Ubuntu release support table.
v33 backend in 22.04 LTS w. LXDE, in LXC on server w. 16C/32T Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM. 6C & 8GB assigned to container.
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

I did some more poking around, and it turns out the likes of Xubuntu and Lubuntu do indeed not match Ubuntu's 5 year LTS support schedule, opting instead for a shorter 3 year LTS support schedule, but still calling it by the same name, which is confusing and misleading as all hell.

Because of this I have been running an unsupported desktop on my backend for two years :/

The good news is that when the clock runs out on Xubuntu and Lubuntu all of the Ubuntu LTS base stuff still gets updated with security updates until the 5 years is up. The desktop packages specific to Xubuntu or Lubuntu - however - don't.

This really should be published on their project websites in big flashing screaming red letters, because a rational assumption is that you are Ubuntu based, Ubuntu LTS means 5 years, and thaty you follow that as well. Heck, if I google lubuntu service life, the standard ubuntu schedule takes up the first several results...

I guess I am going to have to move to 18.04 then instead of 16.04, which I am dreading because of all the boneheaded changes associated with SystemD.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I really like ifupdown and configuring all of my network interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces like I always have, and I hate it when SystemD tries to take on more and more of that and move it.
v33 backend in 22.04 LTS w. LXDE, in LXC on server w. 16C/32T Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM. 6C & 8GB assigned to container.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

You are not alone with the change to interfaces (using netplan), but you can still use the "old" interfaces method e.g. see https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031709 ... interfaces

Here is an example (simple case) on my system of netplan file /etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml
:

Code: Select all

# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: NetworkManager
  ethernets:
    enp0s31f6:
      match:
        macaddress: 70:4d:7b:86:fb:2e
      dhcp4: no
      addresses: [192.168.0.20/24]
      gateway4: 192.168.0.2
      nameservers:
         addresses: [192.168.0.2]
      wakeonlan: true
The other issue with 18.04 is if you use lirc, there are some problems, see this post for some help https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/mythtvnz/619264

Mike
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

MikeB2013 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 pm
You are not alone with the change to interfaces (using netplan), but you can still use the "old" interfaces method e.g. see https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031709 ... interfaces

Here is an example (simple case) on my system of netplan file /etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml
:

Code: Select all

# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: NetworkManager
  ethernets:
    enp0s31f6:
      match:
        macaddress: 70:4d:7b:86:fb:2e
      dhcp4: no
      addresses: [192.168.0.20/24]
      gateway4: 192.168.0.2
      nameservers:
         addresses: [192.168.0.2]
      wakeonlan: true
The other issue with 18.04 is if you use lirc, there are some problems, see this post for some help https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/mythtvnz/619264

Mike
I hear ya.

Good info about lirc. I am not personally too concerned though. My backend is a dedicated backend (actually running in an LXC container on my Proxmox KVM/LXC host). The important part is that it is not used for any viewing or anything to do with a remote control.

All my frontends run Kodi with the MythTV plugin. I haven't used an actual MythTV frontend in 5+ years.
KennyB
Junior
United States of America

Post by KennyB »

mattlach wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:37 pm
I did some more poking around, and it turns out the likes of Xubuntu and Lubuntu do indeed not match Ubuntu's 5 year LTS support schedule, opting instead for a shorter 3 year LTS support schedule, but still calling it by the same name, which is confusing and misleading as all hell.

Because of this I have been running an unsupported desktop on my backend for two years :/

The good news is that when the clock runs out on Xubuntu and Lubuntu all of the Ubuntu LTS base stuff still gets updated with security updates until the 5 years is up. The desktop packages specific to Xubuntu or Lubuntu - however - don't.

This really should be published on their project websites in big flashing screaming red letters, because a rational assumption is that you are Ubuntu based, Ubuntu LTS means 5 years, and thaty you follow that as well. Heck, if I google lubuntu service life, the standard ubuntu schedule takes up the first several results...

I guess I am going to have to move to 18.04 then instead of 16.04, which I am dreading because of all the boneheaded changes associated with SystemD.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I really like ifupdown and configuring all of my network interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces like I always have, and I hate it when SystemD tries to take on more and more of that and move it.
Ugh yeah I recently just had a forray into trying to set a custom DNS server in 18.04. Frustrating as all heck. I really hate "upgrades".

I feel like in the future the wiser thing might be to download Ubuntu and then install the window-manager you want, that way you get the 5 years of service life for the base system but also the desktop environment. I guess nothing is really stopping someone from installing a newer version of XFCE or LXDE on top of an updated 16.04 system as well.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

I have always opted for Xubuntu for my MythTV systems. For my new back+frontend box, I opted this time for Ubuntu 18.04 using the minimal install option due to the longer service life. I hope it goes smoothly. I am using an Asus board installed in a modified TiVo Roamio case with a 7th generation i3 35 W processor. I added a video to my blog showing the case modifications. It is not desirable that the i3 will be running slower than it could due to Intel's recent problems, but it will still be enough horsepower for my needs.
Ted | My blog