What happened to SiliconDust?

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

williamdosa
Newcomer
Albania

What happened to SiliconDust?

Post by williamdosa »

They've purged their reddit, purged their own support forum of uncomfortable questions like why did samsung drop support for HDHR DVR?.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a HDHR5 Quatro until I discovered it was no longer compatible with my Samsung TV, and that buying any new HDHR model forces you into the Google or Amazon ecosystem if you want a hardware playback device.

The reason I'm in the market is that it looks like my HDHR3 was forcibly EOLed and my HDHR1 doesn't pick up enough channels without a good amplified antenna to compensate for the splitter (which I have but don't want to bother with setting up, thus my interest in a new model).

Has anybody built a mythtv system with contemporary hardware? Looks like neither SiliconDust nor Hauppauge devices are completely supported any more.
Last edited by Steve Goodey on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Download links removed.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: What happened to SiliconDust?

Post by pgbennett »

I moved this to the hardware forum because it is not related to Raspberry pi
kbocek
Senior
United States of America

Post by kbocek »

I'll ping this old thread. Yeah, what cable card options are out there? Seems like silicon dust has moved away from CC.
urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr »

They talk of a 6 tuner CC unit, but I don't think it is available yet. I have the 3 tuner model, but don't find it for sale anymore. They have 2 and 4 tuner units for OTA channels plus they offer a Premium TV package that allows up to 4 streams over the internet. I have the quattro unit setup, but have yet to subscribe to their Premium TV. Great signal quality on the OTA channels.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

kbocek wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 pm
...what cable card options are out there?
SiliconDust is expected to release a new six tuner model sometime in 2019 according them. Hauppauge has two and three tuner models available now.
Ted | My blog
kbocek
Senior
United States of America

Post by kbocek »

Awsome! Thanks.
urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr »

heyted wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 am
kbocek wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 pm
...what cable card options are out there?
SiliconDust is expected to release a new six tuner model sometime in 2019 according them. Hauppauge has two and three tuner models available now.
I believe they (SD) said that in 2018, also.