Christmas theme 2018

Announcements for MythTV

Moderator: Forum Moderators

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Christmas theme 2018

Post by paulh »

The 2019 version of the MythCenterXMAS-wide theme is now available in the theme chooser as version 1.8 for 29.0 and 30.0-pre (master). This version contains all new background images and despite global warming it's still snowing :)

I noticed a bug in the theme updater in that it never removes old files that are no longer in the theme. Depending on what version of the theme you previously used this can cause some of the new background images to not show, it picks the old background*.png files rather than the new background*.jpg ones. Simple fix is to run in a terminal :-

Code: Select all

rm ~/.mythtv/themes/MythCenterXMAS-wide/backgrounds/*.png
That will remove the old png files that are no longer used. If you get 'No such file or directory' that's OK it just means there is no old pngs to remove.

I'm toying with the idea of making a kids version of the theme that will essentially be the same but will have different backgrounds with pictures of Santa, reindeer, presents etc. I may throw in a few animated gifs of santa, snow men etc. Anyone interested in something like this?

Paul H.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Re: Christmas theme 2019

Post by Steve Goodey »

Thanks for that Paul. Although I have done a themes refresh my box only shows v1.7. There was a mention of theme update problems from Peter Bennett on irc in #mythtv and #mythtv-users on Friday about having to delete .mythtv/cache, not the theme cache but the general QT cache.

I'm on mythbuntu 16.04.5 v29/fixes.

Would a donation be in order for the work you have done on this theme, now and in the past?

Steve.
Don't forget the Wiki.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Christmas theme 2018

Post by paulh »

I've just updated my parents box which is on Ubuntu 18.04.1 and MythTV master and it updated without any problems so could just be a v29 problem.

Looking at one of my frontend it looks like you should have a themes.zip file in ~/.mythtv/tmp/ that was modified today.
You should also have a bunch of directories in ~/.mythtv/cache/themechooser/??/ each with a thumb image and themeinfo.xml files. I think ?? should probably be 29 for v29-fixes but not sure. If you look at the themeinfo.xml for MythCenterXMAS-wide has the minor version been updated to 8?

I'm being made redundant the week before Christmas :( so definitely wouldn't turn any donation down but honestly there is really no need. I actually really like working on the Christmas theme.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Paul,
Looking at one of my frontend it looks like you should have a themes.zip file in ~/.mythtv/tmp/ that was modified today.
No, I have:-

Code: Select all

-rw-rw-r-- 1 steve steve 10967883 Dec  4  2017 MythCenterXMAS-wide-1.5_29.zip
-rw-rw-r-- 1 steve steve 10154764 Dec 29  2017 MythCenterXMAS-wide-1.7_29.zip
Unfortunately before seeing your post I removed the cache folder and the update showed up, so all good now. Strange v29 won't auto update.

Sorry to hear about being made redundant, not the best time they could have told you.

Steve.
Don't forget the Wiki.
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

Hi Paul,.. Hope the New Year has brought some better tiding for yourself...
One comment about the new Christmas theme was the choice of colours used particularly in the guide,.. depending on the genres of the program or film.
Basically the contrast between text and background is poor,.. to make reading some of the genres unreadable...

Appreciate this can be driven by my m/c setting etc,.. I am using 18.04 with 29.1...

Just my comment,.. but great theme none the less,.. many thanks for your efforts.

Kind regards